Hopper, Dump O/O's & Drivers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by wheathauler, May 31, 2009.

1. Big John

Big John Road Train Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Try Heartland (HTC) out of Roff, OK 800-522-9310. They pull hoppers for feed and pneumatic tanks hauling sand for the oilfield. Nice equipment don't know how they pay. Their are others out their I am sure but that is the biggest I can think of in your area.

okiejon Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Red

Big Red Lonestar

Nov 11, 2007

We work with HTC from time to time............

According to their company drivers........25% of gross for frac sand.

Don't know what rates(gross) they're getting but it seems to be OK $$$$$ wise.

okiejon Thanks this.
  4. HwyPilot

HwyPilot Medium Load Member

May 31, 2008
    Northern Georgia
    Wanted to take a quick minute to drop a note in -

Has anyone had any experience good/bad with Atlantic Carriers out of Atlantic, IA?

They seemed great up front, but started playing games with me when I was pulling their freight. I explained the issues I had (scheduling, mis-information, deadheading 25% of my miles, etc) and they said they'd clean it up. At one point they even misunderstood where I was calling in from and nearly chewed me a new one when they thought I'd driven 4 hours out of route - before they got it straight in their heads - didn't bother to apologize for that.

After pulling for them for 3 weeks, I figured it wasn't going to get better and parked my truck at the house. I netted about $1,600 for 17 days of driving (after fuel, but before my expenses = lost ALOT of money) and to this date they've paid me all of $250!!

When I call their office, I'm told I need to talk to one of the owners - who's in charge of accounting. They're never available in the last 2 months, I get sent to voicemail to leave a message and I've never once gotten a call back.

The last time I called in about the other $1,350 they owe me, I got the usual "they're not available, you'll need to leave a message". I asked to talk to someone else who could handle the issue, and got sent to the guy that chewed me out that day. He proceeds to launch into me on the phone, called me everything but skinny and white, and made a complete scene in their office (personally I was embarassed for the guy - he was WAY out of line).

After I remained professional, and explained the issues I had for the 5th time - he finally looked up some details and found out they owe me around $1,285. Then he tells me he can't issue payment, and I'll have to get ahold of this other person who never calls me back. Basically he runs me through the ringer, acknowledges that they owe me money, and then says tough nuts. I've called and gotten the voice mail run-around several times since then - and not gotten a call back - big suprise.

So far the best answer I've got is to call OOIDA at the beginning of next week, pull their bond number, and threaten to file. It stinks, but I hauled 5 loads for them in 17 days (one of the big problems I had - waiting around to unload) - and I've barely been paid for one of them. Sucks when you head out and make someone money - then they keep it all and screw you.

Hope someone has better luck than I did, I was early or on schedule to the customers, and called in every morning as requested. Too bad they don't feel like paying me what little I earned. They kept telling me they've been in business for 40 years, and I'd like to think this has only happened to me.

5. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Sent you a PM hwy. I would hang up on anyone calling me names. I've had disagreements with dispatchers but nothing like you've encountered. Are you still pulling a hopper?

6. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Anybody ever been to Port 33 around Inola, OK? Wondering how hard it would be to find. Consolidated grain and barge is the destination.

7. WallyGator

WallyGator Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Clearwater,Florida
    Rob made great money and they paid every bit of it.he did real good while he was with them.

8. highside

highside Medium Load Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Kansas

WH, it is on US 412 about 7 miles east of the catoosa exit. You'll turn south off of 412 about a mile and a half west of the river. After you turn south, you'll go about a tenth of a mile where you'll make the first left you come to. Follow the road east and it will take you right to the port. I'm pretty sure there is a small sign for port 33 right before you get to the turn-off.

Input these coordinates into GOOGLE MAPS, and it will take you right to it: 36.164904,-95.61985

wheathauler Thanks this.
  9. HwyPilot

May 31, 2008
    Northern Georgia
    I'm not pulling anything right now, I returned my trailer after the last run with Atlantic. I'd pulled together whatever cash I had to replace my EGR valve and cooler ($3900) and keep things current to get back out, then ended up parked all over the place waiting for customers or bad scheduling.

I don't know if things have changed at Atlantic, but I do know what I saw. They told me I would be paid between 30 and 40 days out when I told them I couldn't afford to haul their loads anymore. Today I received a check from them for $924, and a few odd deductions scribbled in pen on the bottom of the statement - with no details or explanation. To give you a timeline, the last load I delivered for them was on 9-17-10, and I received a check from them today on 11-23-10 after all the phone calls.

They never called me back from any of my voicemails, and owed me alot more than they've paid - without explaining anything they deducted. It took them over 60 days to pay what they have, after telling me 30 to 40 days over the phone. I waited along time to come out with the details on this, hoping they'd make good. They haven't and they won't call me back. At this point, I have no choice but contact OOIDA and start on their bond - they still owe me about $400 and I can't reach them for comment.

10. HwyPilot

May 31, 2008
    Northern Georgia
    It's good to hear that, I'm hoping that I'm the only one they decided to mess with. There must be some kind of bad luck I've got to shake, because things haven't worked out at all. :-(

Heck, the very first load with Atlantic was an eye opener for me. They gave me the load info over the phone, told me my fuel cards were on, and I headed out. Three hours later I pulled through the fuel island at Choo Choo in Ringgold, GA and took on $700 in fuel and then went in to pay for that and a washout. Turns out my fuel cards hadn't been activated after talking to dispatch and I had to call the lady that hasn't returned any of my calls lately. She apologized that she'd forgotten to activate them before she went home for the day, and after 30 minutes of phone calls and waiting, I was able to clear the fuel island and get a washout. There were 2 trucks backed up behind mine by the time the charge cleared, so it wasn't just me they were tying up that night.

That experience should've been my first warning in dealing with the place, and there were more problems ahead that I won't bore you folks with.

If Rob was doing well, I wonder why he lost his truck and never paid me anything he owed me? Makes me wonder, but he hasn't called me since he got his truck fixed last year and got back on the road. He never told me he was pulling for Atlantic - all I heard was that he lost his truck to the bank. I did bump into him in February down in Louisiana at a meal plant, I'd been waiting to unload and he was at the wrong plant. We chatted for a few minutes, and when he found out he was at the wrong place he had to take off. I got news a few months later from a friend that his truck got picked up by the bank. All that effort and help, and the bank winds up with a better truck - it was sad news.

7mouths2feed Thanks this.
  11. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    Hello ALL! :biggrin_25522: Remember me? Some may have been wondering what happened to me so heres the quick of it. Stopped pulling Reefers when the TX runs dried up and got under a dry van. Started out as a sweet regional running KY to TX,, DH hop over to LA and back to KY. Put me through the house in LR every other day. CHR has been jerking us around on the load outta LA to KY. Considering that I was just back and forth there wasn't much to report.

So this week I got a call asking if I wanted to run this week or be home for Thanksgiving. With a quick reminder that I am a half-breed A/I and that I don't celebrate T-day and Columbus Day. So under a reefer I go and head West for Salt Lake. Stuck on I-80 Sunday night , Rescheduled for Tuesday Del. Now headed for Rupert, ID I shut down in snowville which quickly lived up to its name. The storm is past but the plows are being lazy in ID so I'm gonna sit till morning. Have 2 picks going to Jax, FL and Miami. When they asked if I was OK with all the ice and snow I quickly replied I'M HAVIN A BLAST!!!!! :biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559: I have to say I have missed the open roads. :biggrin_25525: Hope everyone is well all with happy healthy families. Take care everyone.

Oh Yeh! Forgot to mention I shut down the INT when she started blowing oil. Figure best not to hurt her. Should be rebuilding it around the first of the year and putting a friend in it. I now have an old Walmart truck that I absolutlely LOVE:biggrin_25514::biggrin_25514: 03' Columbia Pre-EGR 12.7 370/430 Direct10 with 2.79's Running my regional route I had an overall average of 7.73mpg:biggrin_255::biggrin_25514::biggrin_25525:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.