Hopper, Dump O/O's & Drivers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by wheathauler, May 31, 2009.

1. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Yep, I have one of your motors taken out of a wrecked truck. I haven't had too much trouble except for a new turbo. I guess synthetic would last with local hauling but I haven't decided yet.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Well, diesel jumped ten cents couple of days ago here. There are loads to haul but rates aren't rising. I have a feeling there will be less grain haulers around come spring.

4. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Guess I'm done for the week. Merchandiser said don't haul to Colwich rest of week they're just about full of grain. That's what happens when it's about the only place to haul to. The elevators are closing Friday anyway so not missing too many days.

Highside, you would have loved it this week nice long lines. I got there at 8 am yesterday and there were twelve trucks in line. Lots of time to read or BS with other drivers. Shut some trucks off yesterday but I got another load in. There's been around 40 or more trucks in there a day, most modern ethanol plants could handle that easily but Colwich can only do 4 trucks an hour. At 4 pm there can only be six trucks in line on the road the rest have to wait until the next day.

5. Big John

Big John Road Train Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Kind of hard to make a living doing that.

6. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Yep, luckily I was really busy during fall harvest so I have that to make it through the winter. NSG is still going to Colwich they must have a lot to haul in.

7. highside

highside Medium Load Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Kansas
    Heck I bet any newer ethanol plant worth it's salt could handle 40 trucks per HOUR!

A few years ago, they wanted to build a bigger plant to the north of the old one. Some of the townspeople opposed it hard, but Abengoa eventually got the zoning approval they needed. By that time, though, the price of gas had dropped and the economics of a new plant didn't look so great, so they shelved the plans.

Not only is it slow as all get out, but it's a dump, too. My favorite part is the gigantic pothole that will almost swallow the left side of your truck north of the dump in the turn. Usually it's camouflaged by a puddle of water. It'll sure wake you up if you forget it's there!

wheathauler Thanks this.
  8. 008

008 Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2010
    North Central Texas
    Merry Christmas To All

kajidono, Big John, dairyman and 4 others Thank this.
  9. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    Anyone here have an electric tarp and if so is it worth a crap, and what brand do you have?

10. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    I have a shurco electric tarp 3500 series. I've had it for about three years. It's done well. If it quits you can do it manually but it is heavy to roll. Only trouble I had was a bracket breaking but it was replaced on warranty. It has a 5 year warranty. I have the heavy duty motor on it also.

11. Big John

Big John Road Train Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Merry Christmas to everyone.

highside, cowdoc, RW. and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.