Hopper, Dump O/O's & Drivers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by wheathauler, May 31, 2009.

1. kevinj26

kevinj26 Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2013
    houston, TX
    Yea I know I came in through the back door instead of the front but it was a investment never planned on driving until now. I would like to start a family within the next year or so and pulling dry van & Flatbed is just not lucrative enough to support a family. overheard a couple a driver's talking about the owner ops they drive for having multiple trucks leased on figured pulling hoppers must pay pretty good if they can afford drivers & overhead on multiple trucks and still see a profit. So I guess what I really wanted to know is what does a truck pulling hopper normally average as a o/o I currently bring home $1500-2000 now & the rice & cattle company here is not leasing on o/o at this time

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    1500-2000 gross or net? Week or month? That could be done with hoppers IF there is work available and priced right. Around here right now rates are cheap...most loads to feedlots which normally don't pay well. I really don't know if hoppers could beat flats or vans on a yearly average.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
    kevinj26 and bullhaulerswife Thank this.
  4. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Kevin, maybe let's look at this from a different angle. Most of us fell in to pulling hoppers because we already were farming, or were working at the elevator doing something else. Others are invited to chime in and see if they agree with this.

I notice you live in Houston. Why not check with friends and family and see who has contacts pulling a dump, or hauling oil field equipment? There is just no substitute for having a friend on the inside to get you started.

I predict that you are going to be successful whatever you decide. You've asked for advice from experienced hands, and you seem to be taking that advice into careful consideration.

If I were like that at your age, I'd probably be a millinaire by now.

bullhaulerswife and kevinj26 Thank this.
  5. kevinj26

kevinj26 Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2013
    houston, TX
    That's my net per wk after drivers pay

6. kevinj26

kevinj26 Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2013
    houston, TX
    Yea most truckers were pulled into the industry by a friend family members or just grew up around the industry but unfortunately I do not have any friends or family members in the business I guess you can say I'm the first generation trying to feel my way around and hope I land in a comfortable spot when it's all said and done whatever knowledge I have gained about the industry has come from the internet and just jumping into it & figuring it out for myself weather it's the hard way or easy way usually I find out the hard and learn not to make the same mistake twice that's why I'm here to get some good info from some guys that's been doing it for a while before jumping in.

7. Lastkidpicked

Aug 17, 2007
    Colorado
    This thread got me thinking...

How did most of you guys get into hauling hoppers, or trucking in general?

8. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    I got started hauling grain bobtail for farmers. They got bigger and I got bigger trailers. Now the farmers all have their own trucks and trailers. I just haul for merchandisers now very few farmers. The drought the last few years has hurt quite a bit as far as grain hauling.

9. Lastkidpicked

Aug 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Interesting you say that, Wheathauler, because this could be an opportunity for us.

The farmers I work with say that it costs MORE to have their own trucks. Of course I ask them why do they keep their own trucks?

Their problem is that they have been let down before by hiring trucks that don't show up, or they break down all the time (Looking directly at you, rate cutters).

Now they're snakebit, so they keep their own trucks so that they have more control.

Seems like an opportunity could be had by going direct, providing good service, and being dependable.

Nah... they'd probably go right back to the rate cutters and screw up a good thing once again.

wheathauler Thanks this.
  10. apyles

apyles Medium Load Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Newbern,Tn

I got started pulling a hopper out of the field (fully Loaded). This was for my inlaws about 15 years ago, then went to a van bla bla bla.............. NOW 8 trucks later??? looking at putting a truck over the road. The story will continue from there>!!

11. Hhc133eng

Hhc133eng Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Not to change subject.... Does anybody know about leasing on with AR???

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.