Hopper, Dump O/O's & Drivers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by wheathauler, May 31, 2009.

1. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    ok, The big difference with this next storm is we are going to have wind...might make things interesting.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. UTI TRANSPORT

UTI TRANSPORT Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Well hope the snow you have now sticks down before the next storm coming and with those winds. Winds always cripple things around here. We don't get snow like we used to 20 years ago, it's usually snow and ice anymore.

It has been a tough few weeks for us and freight, everything we been hauling has been coming out of Northern ND and Northern MT just south of the Canadian border and every other day they been getting snow and 60mph winds and shuts everything down. All the other freight has been slow and rates are so bad and diesel prices keep rising I can't seem to make the numbers work. Friday I talked to several people and received several emails of signs things are going to start picking back up here in the next couple weeks which I always like to hear but sure wish they would tell me some prices on the rates.

4. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Sure hope they're wrong on how much snow we get....saying over 12 inches with 40 mph winds. That will shut us down for a while.

5. UTI TRANSPORT

Nov 16, 2012
    Wheathauler,

When are you supposed to start getting more snow and which direction is it coming from? We are supposed to start getting more snow tonight and last through Wednesday but they are not saying much about it and I'm just wondering if they are being quiet about this one cuz how they missed the last one so bad?

I have looked myself on different weather sites and they are all calling for another good snow storm but are not giving many details and I'm trying to start to plan my week out and I don't want to send truck back through your area if they are going to get shut down for another couple days as my other two trucks last week had that storm from Colby, KS all the way over to St. Louis, MO and shut down for two days. Those two will unload tomorrow morning finally and I'm going to have to reload them and send them right back the same way. The others I think I will load and send them further north and see if they can stay out of the worse parts of it, I might even send my other two back this way a different route also. Nobody is letting out to many details at this time and not making for a very easy going Sunday right now with trip planning

6. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    We are in winter storm warning from midnight tonight till 6am Tuesday. Coming from west--sounds like might be I 70 south storm. Hays was supposed to get around 8 inches last time I looked at weather. KC 8-14 inches last time looked also.

UTI TRANSPORT Thanks this.
  7. Rodeoman7

Rodeoman7 Light Load Member

May 27, 2008
    Middle of Nowhere, CO
    Snow stopped in Denver the roads are pretty crappy. Headed to Leadville in morning

8. Big John

Big John Road Train Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Bring it on. I am ready with my sweat pants on, house shoes and a nice warm blanket. As long as we don't lose electricity I will be fine. lol Storm is approaching us pretty fast and it is 55 degrees out with rain, ice and snow within an hour away. We need the moisture and no loads to haul tomorrow I will be sleeping in.

UTI TRANSPORT and wheathauler Thank this.
  9. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    Yeah, on the clock 20 hours today and the boss told me to head for Oklahoma through this mess. As in right then. And that was the end of that.

10. NHS

NHS Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Well be safe out there. I used to live in OKC and it doesn't snow often there so I was always a little skeptical of ODOT's response time and capability in the face of a nasty storm moving in. I will say though after the big snow storm during christmas 2009, things seemed to improve a little. I just always cringe when I hear of a big snow storm moving through oklahoma.

kajidono Thanks this.
  11. UTI TRANSPORT

Nov 16, 2012
    I don't think Wheathauler is going to be moving his truck for awhile? He is going to be digging out for a few days by the looks of things.

I seen that too about OKC, OK I know several people in that area too and they said the same thing, they get a dusting of snow once in awhile that maybe covers the grass and some icy roads but nothing usually last too long.

For all you in that area or have to travel in or out of that area call ahead and see what's going on as they may not even want you coming until storm passes and they get things cleaned up. It's not worth the risks in my opinion as we get through this storm and I think everyone will start to see a early spring?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.