Horsepower Needed

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by voltairegomez, Aug 18, 2019.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    An 18 does not have as low a gears as a 15 or 8LL, they will work, but not as easy on the drive train and clutch, and a quarry rig is steady stop and go all day.

LoneRanger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Will they be EPA 07 or younger trucks you will buy?

4. rcelmo

rcelmo Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2015
    If your 46 ton estimate isn't a mis-print than you really need some
    heavy trucks. You will destroy a "highway" truck pretty quick. With that
    kind of weight even small hills become an issue.

I would try to find some older Heavy-Haul trucks. Heavy frames,
    heavy axles, heavy clutches, large cubic inch engines. Engine horsepower
    does matter but I would definitely stay away from 11 to 13 liter engines. Small
    cubic inches don't have the low end torque you will need. A 400 horsepower
    15liter with some serious low gears will work.

Also be prepared to do some serious truck maintenance. Grease jobs, tires,
    etc. Dust will be a huge issue. If you want to keep the a/c working you will need
    to stay on top of cab filters, engine air filters, etc. You really need a set-up to
    pressure wash your equipment on a regular/weekly basis. If you don't they will
    turn into nasty/filthy mud caked heaps that nobody wants to drive.

Seriously if this is to be a long term job than I would consider buying off-road
    haul trucks. They are designed for that job. They have super heavy suspensions,
    super heavy axles. I am guessing that you will spend considerably more up front
    but in the long run you will save money. Another issue is cycle times. These haul
    trucks will tip a full load in seconds.....they are easy to drive.....have heavy brakes.....
    turn super short. If 30 yards is the most you want to load there are lots of these
    smaller haul trucks out there. Many of the companies I see have gone to the 45 yard
    trucks. Might be able to find some decent used 30 or 35 yard trucks. Deere and Volvo
    both build a decent truck.....CAT does to but they tend to be higher priced. Good luck.

5. rcelmo

Mar 23, 2015
    double post...……….

voltairegomez Thanks this.
  6. rcelmo

Mar 23, 2015
    Actually, after some more thought. 46 Tons is 92,000lbs plus 40,000
    truck weight gives 132,000 total weight.

Off-road haul trucks are the only good way to go here. Unless this is
    just a short-term gig......you will destroy highway trucks. They will not
    stand that kind of abuse.

7. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I think like other post it depends on how fast you want to go. Then you pick the transmission and rear end to do that and give you starting ability when stopped. Guy on Satellite radio Kevin Rutherford is pretty good on knowing transmission ratio and axle setup

voltairegomez Thanks this.
  8. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Like the guys have said, it's all about the gearing.
    I used to run OTR pulling trains at 135,000 lbs with an NTC 350, 15 spd direct trans and 4:11 gears on 24.5 rubber, didn't go fast but got the job done, ran 60 - 62 mph all day long at 2000 rpm.
    In a pit operation you would want steeper gears or or lower rubber or a bigger engine to compensate for the lower torque and hp of the 350 hp engine.

Give some thought to Allison 6 speed autos, good off road trans.

Bean Jr. and voltairegomez Thank this.
  9. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I see a lot of Allison Transmissions used in the oil patch for their off road trucks. They can put anybody behind the wheel and not worry about breaking it.
    For manuals, an 8LL would be a common choice, they are only rated up to 1650 torque. So an engine in the 400-500 hp range would do.
    A ‘Highway’ Truck would do as long as it’s spec’d for it, heavier frame, definitely 46,000 lbs rear ends.
    I had a truck with a 450 Mercedes 18 spd 40,000 lbs rears at 4.10 ratio. I pull 140,000 lbs super B train hopper bottoms. Occasionally I load right out in the field in soft freshly turned soil. I never had a problem getting it to go, but blew out the bearings in the front diff after only two years. I use 46,000 lbs rears now. There was one field I climbed out of, the truck was slowing down in bull low first pulling up onto the road, so a deeper rear end would have been nice. For you something closer to 4.55 -4.89 or deeper.

KB3MMX and voltairegomez Thank this.
  10. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    You need one of these, off road ready for your pit has a payload capacity of 46tons and your drivers wont rip drivelines out of them.

Attached Files:

11. voltairegomez

voltairegomez Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2019
    Everyone has been extremely helpful and I can't thank you enough for your feed back. At the end of the day, I think we need to find a consultant to help us mitigate so many qualifiers. We are a San Diego based firm if anyone knows of anybody. Thank you so much everyone! Hope this finds everyone blessed and well!

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.