HOS new rules

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Beaver9, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    If they are smart they will log fueling as On Duty-Yard Move, then they can drive more than 4 mph to a proper parking spot after fueling and not interrupt thier 30 min break.

86scotty Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    When I am out of home to work, I am out there to work. Minimum sleep and roll. I don't need a truck stop laundry or bar counter socializing. I sleep 5 hours or whatever then feel fresh and rebooted , so there is nothing of value for me in sitting and watching the clock tick while I hear a noise of a reefer or APU next to me.
    I'd rather work 80 hours in 5 days, then go home instead of 70 hours in 8 days.

lester, Brettj3876 and feldsforever Thank this.
  4. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I feel ya there... If I'm on the road I want to be moving, not twiddling my thumbs watching the clock. I regularly run my 70 out in 6 days.

Casimir66, feldsforever and TallJoe Thank this.
  5. mathematrucker

mathematrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Laughlin, NV
    Re the new rules, I was happy to find out that neither the 2+ nor 7+ portion of the split break counts against the 14 now. Thus, let's say I go to line 2 for 7.5 hours then drive 3 hours then go to line 1 for 2.5 hours. At the 2.5-hour mark of that second break, my 14 suddenly reverts back to having 11 hours available. As if that weren't sweet enough, I get to keep having that same 11 available on my 14 until I finish the 2.5+ break! Nice.

This raises an intriguing question. What if that first break on line 2 were 10 hours instead of just 7.5 hours? Does the FMCSA's new rule effectively penalize the better-rested driver by not allowing him/her to extend their 14-hour shift with a 2+ break? If so, then the new rule incentivizes drivers who know they will be having a 2+ break during their next work shift, to make #### sure they don't let their primary break reach 10 hours!

I wouldn't put it past the FMCSA to overlook this logical inconsistency. Does anyone know whether the first 2+ break after a 10+ break counts against the 14 or not?

6. Beaver9

Beaver9 Heavy Load Member

Jun 15, 2020
    I'm still driving using old HOS rules. I need to sit down and figure out everything too. I might have to call Keeptracking to explain everything to me. Hopefully, they know. Or I will call OOIDA. They should know too.

7. mathematrucker

Sep 14, 2006
    Laughlin, NV
    Just thought of a good possible workaround. If you happen to get a 2+ hour break during your work shift and would like to extend your 14 by the length of that break, if you did a 10+ break (that wasn't part of a 34-hour reset) before you started your shift, just go in and edit the 10+ break to include one minute of on-duty time exactly 8 hours and one minute before the 10+ break ended.

If DOT asks about it just tell them you had a nightmare about rolling your rig off a cliff that was so vivid and stressful it took some work to calm yourself down after waking up.

8. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    I agree. I can relax at home. But lets face it. There are a bunch of drivers who shouldnt try that.
    I do like the new 30 min break rule. If I read it correctly. I don't need to take 30 until 8 hours or driving. Vs. 8 hours on duty.

9. mathematrucker

Sep 14, 2006
    Laughlin, NV
    No, this description oversimplifies it in two ways.

First, it isn't the case that every 2+ hour break during your work shift fails to count against the 14. You can only match up the first such break with a previous 7+ break (or the last such break with a later 7+ break) to have it not count against your 14.

Second, if my reading of the FMCSA's stupidity is correct, your 7+ break cannot be 10 hours or longer, for if it is, you no longer have a split sleeper berth scenario, which is all the new rule applies to.

However, there's a workaround you can apply that I described above, which should get you the extension you want for your 14 in this case. Later today I will have an opportunity to experiment with my ELD to see if it works or not. Will report on my findings.

feldsforever Thanks this.
  10. mathematrucker

Sep 14, 2006
    Laughlin, NV
    To clarify, I'm feeling 100% sure that between any two 7+ breaks, you can only have one 2+ hour break not count against your 14. However, I'm not quite feeling 100% sure about my claim that it's automatically the 2+ hour break during the work shift that's nearest to the 7+ break that does not count against the 14.

Because the FMCSA is so intellectually weak and detached from reality, I'm feeling 100% sure that such ambiguities flew right over their heads when they all sat down to design some new silly rules.

stuckinthemud Thanks this.
  11. mathematrucker

Sep 14, 2006
    Laughlin, NV
    Disclaimer: I have not yet read the letter of the law as they wrote it, so for all I know, they've got all bases covered. From the news articles I've read online, my hunch is they don't.

stuckinthemud Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.