HOS new rules

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Beaver9, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    This from Keeptruckin ELD says the 2+ hour break alone will not stop the 14 hour clock. Because the ELD does not know if you are going to take 8 or 7 hour break later. So it won't extend the 14 hour clock untill you do both.

IMG_20201005_110143314.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    This is an e-log paradox. Modern technology is not at the point where you can program mind-reading into these devices.

The new split berth provision technically allows you to pause your 14 - however, you need to complete the whole cycle before you have satisfied what is required by law to pause your 14.

I suspect that if a driver goes off duty for two hours in the middle of the day, thinking they have extended their day from 14 to 16 hours, they will be unpleasantly surprised to discover that they are in violation of HOS until the whole sleeper berth cycle has been successfully completed.

Oh the road for hours 15, 16...? You'll be driving in the red if you attempt this.

Sounds good on paper, but you can't program an ELD to know a driver's intentions beforehand.

edit: I should've read Brandt's post before i wrote all this

4. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Sense the new HOS update my Qualcomm has a button to hit that says “will pair with SB” or something like that. You have to push that if you want to do the split otherwise it wont pause the 14.

stuckinthemud and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  5. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    As long as it clears the violation after completing 7 or 8 hours in the sleeper, it should not be a major issue.
    Let's just hope that the law enforcement will be educated soon enough to know that extending 14 hour clock is possible by taking 2 or 3 hours break even though your ELD show that you're in violation.
    I personally think that it is a poor solution by Keep Truckin and their excuse that the app doesn't know is too lame. The app can be equipped with an additional control by which users can indicate their intentions as to whether or not their breaks will be complemented by 7 or 8 hour sleeper berth.
    Even if they are not...so what? What if I extend 14 hour clock by 3 hours and then take 10 hour off Duty break, 34 hours or 8 days or quit?

stuckinthemud Thanks this.
  6. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Maybe carrying a print out of the rule?

TallJoe Thanks this.
  7. iceman32

iceman32 Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Next year, they will roll back this new rule. There’s one thing the mega pushers did not equate. They have a lot of solar powered drivers. Yes sir, come winter time. You really think a solar powered driver is going to pause the clock and continue to drive lol? Nah, solar powered. Once the sun goes down, the truck is off.

So can the 2hr be used as off duty pc? If yes, I can hear the outlaws clapping. “Why did you off duty drive 100 miles empty to another city”, “I’m just off duty driving in my split sleeper and I happened to have picked up a load” :D:D:D

D.Tibbitt and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  8. mathematrucker

mathematrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Laughlin, NV
    If the ELD sees at lone 2+ at some point during a work shift it has no reason to care or do anything about it.* All the ELD cares about is whether a full 10 hours of split have been completed using a 2+ then a 7+, or a 7+ then a 2+. The moment that's been achieved, the ELD will tack a certain amount [somebody else figure this out please] back onto the 14 and not let the 14-hour clock start ticking down again until the driver goes to line 3 or line 4.

*But wait - that's a bunch of baloney! Here's why: We all know that no matter what, the driver did do a 7+ break before that "lone" 2+ hour break! So why doesn't the ELD take that into consideration and extend the 14 by the amount of the 2+ break as soon as it plus the preceding 7+ break reaches 10 hours? It's because the village blanking idiots at the FMCSA evidently decided that among the better-rested driver and the less-rested driver, it's the less-rested one whose 14 should be extendable rather than the better-rested one's! Go blanking figure!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  9. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Yeah, like trying to get back home and sleep in your own bed.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Let's discuss the basics again because this thing gives me a headache.
    Example:
    1. I start @ 8 AM - 14 hour clock starts - shift ends @ 10 PM.
    2. Drive 5 hours until 1 PM
    3. @ 1 PM I feel sleepy then go to sleeper for 5 hours until 6 PM
    4. Wake up @ 6 PM and resume driving
    5. After 4 hours driving, it is @10 PM and I still have 2 unused hours left on my 11 hour clock.

- in the old rules, I'd have to stop driving because the shift ends at 10 pm.
    Now correct me, if I am wrong!
    - in the new rules, my sleeper break which I took from 1 PM until 6 PM extended the shift by 5 hours: from 10 PM until 3 AM, so I have until 3 AM to utilize my 11 hour clock to its fullest, in this case driving for 2 more hours (???)

11. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    If my understanding of HOS is correct, you are correct, but only if you take a 7 hour sleeper at 3am. As you still need to get split birth in there.

Cattleman84 and TallJoe Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.