HotShot for another Army guy

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by GearWarrant, Apr 21, 2014.

1. GearWarrant

GearWarrant Medium Load Member

Mar 20, 2014
    North Vernon, IN
    HI folks,

I have PM'd a couple of you and got some great advice. Instead of the hassle of PMs and to help out others I decided to start a thread.

I am retiring from the Army in June. I used to drive as a company driver for almost 8 years OTR. I am from Indiana and still have my home there. I signed up with TDI in Sellersburg, IN to get my CDL back and get refreshed on driving and up to speed on all the new regs. It was my plan to drive flatbed instead of van like before and after a year or so, buy a truck and lease it on to a carrier.

But, I came across the Hotshot forum and it sparked my interest so I want to check it out. I have a 5th wheel toy hauler that is 36ft on the sticker, but 41ft overall actually, heavy as lead too. I own a 2008 F-450 (stock) 4x4 Quad Cab to pull it with. It has a B&W gooseneck hitch with the companion 5th wheel hitch. I think the truck has something like 35k on the odometer. I have been overseas so family is taking care of it right now.

I am thinking, I already own the truck, maybe this hotshot thing would be a good deal. I don't own a gooseneck or any kind of suitable hotshot type trailer. I don't have any working capital to speak of, so I thought that driving flatbed for 6-12 months would still be a great idea to get equipment and capital to pull this off.

Some of you are pulling RVs for a living and I am considering that as well. I really don't want to jump into the full blown hotshot deal without cash in the bank to support it. So I am looking for an opportunity to either drive for a company or use my 450 for something.

Bottom line is I need to make between $900-1000 a week after ALL expenses/reserves are paid with the exception of income taxes.

I guess this is a good start, what say ye Ladies and Gentlemen?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    With toy hauler that size, you might look into uship.com. With you ship, you can get haul with your current equipment and do as you please without dot or regs..
    Now I'm gona hear it for mentioning uship as so many on here dispise it.

4. GearWarrant

Mar 20, 2014
    North Vernon, IN
    Took me a minute to figure out what you meant Flightline. The toy hauler is an RV; an 05 Jayco Talon ZX.

5. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    Sure, haul commercial illegally with UShip, just make sure to have plenty of money set back for when you do get caught, to pay all the fines, then pay to get your authority and such to make you legal.

LGarrison and passingthru69 Thank this.
  6. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    I never meant that I approve of u-ship. But somehow it's still legal and dot wants to do very litte about u ship.

Lots of options available.

7. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    If enough of us drivers would make a stink about Uship, maybe the DOT would get involved. I've mentioned it to OOIDA, but it needs to be more than one person complaining about it.

LGarrison Thanks this.
  8. RVTransporter

RVTransporter Light Load Member

May 26, 2012
    Goshen, Indiana
    Isn't there another thread where you can rant about u-ship?. Let this guy have his thread back.

9. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    You can get your own authority and haul freight or do power only, I said the heck with over the road trucking and started hauling with my one tone 3500. You can make good money if you do it correctly, just don't be trying to go out and be a outlaw.

10. GearWarrant

Mar 20, 2014
    North Vernon, IN
    Thanks, but not really interested in using my RV for a freight trailer. That thing is heavy. Loaded for vacation I am at 26k according to CAT.

aiwiron Thanks this.
  11. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    Find a 2 and generation dodge 3500 with a Cummins, will do anything like campers or trailers, stay away from household goods.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.