Hotshot logbook/eld question

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Redbeard77, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Redbeard77

Redbeard77 Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Hi,I have a question about logbook rules for hotshot driving.
    I have 15 years cdl A driving exp.So I know the logbook rules.What I'm not familiar with is hotshot work.Ive been out of the truck for about 6 months,I'm now ready to get back at it and this time I've left my options open as to exactly what I want to do.Ive always had alittle Interest in hotshot work but everytime ive looked into it all I read was mixed info and alot of grey area.Which leads me to my question.

So 2 different hotshot guys have told me that there's an exemption for hotshot oil field trucks that allows you to run 11hrs on with only 8 hrs off instead of the 10 per regular dot rules.Is this true?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. npok

npok Light Load Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Reason for edit: Add links
    Redbeard77 Thanks this.
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Hotshot has nothing to do with it. There are no special rules for hotshot on a federal level.
    The only oil field operation is a 24hr reset instead of the 34.

That being said, are you in Texas running only intrastate freight? If that's the case then you can go off Texas rules which is different. I believe the break is 8 hours and not 10, but I'm not positive.
    Remember though the freight has to be intrastate, not just the driver.

From 395.1(d)
    (d) Oilfield operations. (1) In the instance of drivers of commercial motor vehicles used exclusively in the transportation of oilfield equipment, including the stringing and picking up of pipe used in pipelines, and servicing of the field operations of the natural gas and oil industry, any period of 8 consecutive days may end with the beginning of any off-duty period of 24 or more successive hours.

brian991219 and Redbeard77 Thank this.
  5. Redbeard77

Redbeard77 Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Its freight that runs from midland tx up to commerce city and up to ND.I just wanted to make sure because I can't find anything on this 8 hr rule and I #### sure dont want to put my cdl st risk.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.