How aggressive should I be with dispatch?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by solar panel, Dec 7, 2014.

1. solar panel

solar panel Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Idk difference between my driver manager and dispatch. It's like 3 dif ppl that give me assignments. But how aggressive should I be with them? Sending me through bad weather, or ###### loads ###### trailers not getting me home on time not handling issues how they should... I'm na nice guy but I can be an #######. I'm curious how aggressive others are with dispatch n can a company fire u if dispatch doesn't like u or says ur too aggressive not in those words......

USA truck is my company btw. Just started , nothing but problems with truck n trailers.. dispatch is an ####### too at times.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Suck it up, it is trucking! You are new to the business, so instead of telling these folks how to do their job, learn to do your own. If you want to snivel and whine and complain, you will always get the short end of the stick. Shut up and give yourself enough time on the job to actually learn a little of it.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but if you don't even know who is sending you out on loads, you are too new to be complaining about anything.

Bad Weather? You HAVE to be kidding. In fact, I think your whole post is kidding.

Just out trolling around today?

4. solar panel

Dec 7, 2014
    Na just bored n all that came out too fast without thinking. I've seen dispatch "play games" with my trainer tho n wanted to know like how aggressive ppl get with them because I've only had experience with one person. Ur post is not harsh I'm sorry for not thinking mine out more lol

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  5. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    For starters, never let them push you in bad weather or past HOS. Always be firm and polite. Never argue with them either on a safety issue. Tell them your breaking up I think I'm losing reception. Hang up and call safety department. If you get some dispatch schill in safety call back until you get the correct answer.

Beyond safety issues, it's just luck of the draw on loads. I'm assuming USA is forced dispatch. Get your year in, keep your head low, and get a better job once you get that first year under your belt.

6. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Just started? how long ago?
    Just give it some time and let them trust you.
    Bad weather is on you if it dont feel right park it

7. solar panel

Dec 7, 2014
    Last two posts answered my question nicely even with my poorly worded thread thanks guys. I was with a trainer almost 2 months n by myself now for almost 3

8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi solar, welcome to the wonderful world of trucking. I wouldn't get too upset with dispatch, remember, it's their game. They aren't your friends, and arguing with them only get's you deeper in the hole. You've heard the saying, you get more fly's with honey, then vinegar. I used to take my dispatcher out to lunch, or some flowers (if a woman), and it made all the difference in the world. Oh, unless you go on with a company with new equipment, problems with trucks and trailers is a nation wide deal.

Farmerbob1 and kewphotog Thank this.
  9. Lowa3468

Lowa3468 Heavy Load Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Portland, Or
    well, once you get your training wheels off you will figure it out...

me personally, I wouldn't worry about such things as I try to treat everyone with respect, but....if I try time and time again to to be nice and keep getting effed....well that is when I start to be not so nice.... and generally I won't start throwing the curse words until someone throws one first when they do, its gloves off and we going down for the count.

but if one is always worried about being fired, etc... well probably not the best approach for you and might as well go pick you up some vaseline as it will make things at least a little bearable for you.

if not worried like i was or were i would tell them come get their truck i am not doing so and so or going here or there. they tell me i cant do that i say well tell you what you show me how i cant do that as your truck / trailer is here and i will just go home....usually get something done by then.

if you allow dispatchers or fm, or dm's push you around they will always push you around because they know that they can get away with it or put the fear of you losing your job if you don't if you take that power away from them then they have no choice but to listen and either work with you or come and pick up their crap.

Farmerbob1, superflow and OPUS 7 Thank this.
  10. solar panel

Dec 7, 2014
    Thank u i appreciate the feedback. I'm open to all advice I'm young but I'm not hard headed i know I have a lot to learn n want to learn it :)

Farmerbob1 and OPUS 7 Thank this.
  11. OPUS 7

OPUS 7 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Sometimes you gotta open up a can of w/a.Make sure they call you
    Sea Bass.Everyone knows Sea Bass whips A..
    Seriously,though,you will know when enough is enough.
    If you have problems daily,you gotta start hollerin at these folk.
    Dispatch is all about moving on to the next driver.
    Don't be a pushover,but communicate professionally,and stand your ground.

skellr and Lowa3468 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.