How are Mack Pinnacles?

Discussion in 'Mack Forum' started by w4cdw, Aug 26, 2013.

1. rogueunh

rogueunh Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Not sure what the Maxidyne tune is, but I have a CHU Rawhide edition Mack with the MP8 505. It's quite a truck. My biggest complaint would be the power steering, or lack of it lol.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    It is just the power band. They all pretty much start making power at the same point, and the upward side of the power curves are fairly similar. Maxidyne is the widest, pulling hard to the highest RPM. Econodyne is the narrowest, falling off at a much lower RPM. Maxicruise is in between. It is indicated by the letter following the HP rating...either be an M, E, or C. MP8-505M for example would be the MP8 with a 505 hp Maxidyne tune.

rogueunh Thanks this.
  4. The_Flying_Dutchman

The_Flying_Dutchman Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Jesup, Iowa
    There is a guy I used to see quite regularly that runs for Mobren out of Sioux City. He has a Peterbilt 389 with the MX-13. I am not sure what the year of the truck is, probably around 2012 or something. Anyway, he has talked to me several times about all the trouble they have had with that truck. I think it's up to around 600k, and they have sunk thousands of dollars into that motor on multiple occasions. They had to replace the entire wiring harness recently, which I believe he said was 10K alone. I know he has mentioned lots of trouble with injectors, sensors, etc. He said they are done with Paccar motors. They are buying all Cummins X15s now in long nose 389s. We will see if that turns out any better.

poppapump1332 Thanks this.
  5. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    yep,paccar motors are underpowered and lots of issues.

6. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    well all the talking up i did bit me in the ### last week. turbo blew apart and took the charge pipe with it. no noise or any precursor. scared the #### out of me, sounded like a 44 mag going off in the cab. pulling a hill, everything as normal then BANG. 669k, over 120k consecutive miles of flawless operation. 2013 mp7 pinnacle daycab, 10 spd manual. ive been without it for 3 days and i miss it dearly :D

7. Ransom2007

Ransom2007 Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2017
    Is $35,000 too low of a price for 2015 Mack CXU613 Pinnacle?

620,000 miles - 620,000 ECM

Current FWHA

Seems to good to be true, do you agree????

8. The_Flying_Dutchman

Nov 8, 2016
    Jesup, Iowa
    Hey buddy, don't feel too bad. I am in the same boat. Maybe we should call it the Titanic, lol.

I am on my fourth truck in just a few weeks time. My Pinnacle sleeper had to go into the shop a few weeks ago for a grease job, so I had them check out a ticking sound I've noticed from the motor ever since I got it a few months ago. It reminded me of when you a have a gasoline V-8 with a stuck lifter. They found out out that the camshaft was bad. A rocker assembly had ate a track all the way around the cam. They are still waiting on parts. I guess they are having trouble getting cam bearings in. The truck has been there close to a month now.

The first spare they put me in was a 2011 Volvo flat top VNL430 with 750k on it. It's an old Transport Service truck that was a hand me down to Landes. Ever since Kenan Adavantage Group absorbed us, all we have gotten is surplus trucks from other divisions, many of them worn out junk! They have owned us for a year now, and aside from a Peterbilt sleeper and some 579 day cabs, all we have recieved are wore out junkers from somebody else. It's pretty frustrating when your fleet is getting old and this is all you get, but I digress...

The Volvo wasn't too bad of a truck, but it needed work. It only made it a week with me before the DPF warning lights started coming on. The wiring harness for the DPF was bad, so the truck wouldn't regen right. I drove it down to the main terminal two Fridays ago and traded it for a Mack Vision with 800k and a 10spd auto.

This is where it gets pretty sad. The Vision barely made it back up. It was running fine when I left Jacksonville, but by the time I got back to Iowa, the truck was running awful, spitting and sputtering with no power. I couldn't take my load Saturday morning because it was running so bad. I took it to a shop first thing Monday morning. Whoever worked on the top end of the motor last didn't put it back together right. They didn't tighten it up to spec and everything started working loose. There were bolts sheared off in the top of the head, and motor was out of time because the whole cam/rocker assembly was flying apart.

So last Monday I had to run back down to Jacksonville, AGAIN, but at least I finally got a good truck out of the deal. It's a 2012 Volvo VNL630. I really like the truck. It rides awesome. I was half tempted to keep it, but I better just stick with my Mack. If they ever get it back together...

9. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    eh yeah i've been playing truck roulette of a night, as of late. my truck was repaired 4 days after it broke and has been in service at another terminal since then to ensure it's ok. one of our guys did the truck switch fri. i should be back in it tonight. i know i'll be doing some fairly extensive cleaning, aside from that i hope there are no other issues. i drove 6 different trucks, all the "same" as mine with exception to year and mileage. funny how the same trucks can drive so differently.

10. The_Flying_Dutchman

Nov 8, 2016
    Jesup, Iowa
    I finally got my Pinnacle back this Tuesday. I hate to say it, but I miss the Volvo lol... Dirty rotten turncoat traitor! :eek:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.