How are Mack Pinnacles?

Discussion in 'Mack Forum' started by w4cdw, Aug 26, 2013.

1. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Glad you could see what a Freightliner is. Yes fleets love to turn the engines down. But as good as a truck made . The Great Pete is what beat you to death!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    almost every one of our 30-some 2011-2014 macks (including mine) has needed def system and exhaust filter replacement. all of them day cab mp7/10 spd manuals. most of them in the 4-500k mark. honestly other than that they are pretty #### reliable. mine is a 2012 w 655k on it. i got in it nov of last year. so 115k miles in 8? months. it runs city p&d during the day and i run it on linehaul at night, it might sit for 2 hours between shifts, sometimes not at all. the mp7 is moody. some nights it will pull the pants off king kong, others it wouldn't pull a fat woman out of bed. but it fires up and functions every time i get into it. it did have a wiring harness issue with the hvac controls. r&r the harness and good to go again. i like it. truck is governed at 67 but will run 68.5ish. grossing 65k or less it will absolutely run up hill.

edit: despite all of the trucks being spec'd the exact same and basically being the same truck - no 2 of them drive alike. some are absolutely gutless and run 66 mph on a 67 governer, then a couple are like mine and most are in between. the 2011-12 trucks will pull circles around the 13 and newer. basically the newer the truck the less powerful it is.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  4. The_Flying_Dutchman

The_Flying_Dutchman Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Jesup, Iowa
    I guess maybe it wasn't clear from the post, but this wasn't the first Freightliner I've driven, just the first Cascadia. I really liked the Coronado Glider I used to run back when I used to haul feed for the local co-op; this is the same truck in my avatar pic.

The Pete definitely did a number on my back, neck, and shoulders, but it was not all the truck's fault. I run a lot of backwoods two lane roads in the upper Midwest, plus many of the tanker trailers I pull are old, worn out junk. Some of them are 20 year old leaf spring trailers. Hooking one of those to the Pete and running rough roads was not fun.

Honestly, I really liked the Pete. I just wish it would've had a sleeper. I probably would've kept it. I rarely stay out much and use the sleeper, but it is always nice to have that option. Plus, I wasn't too wild about the idea of running a day cab around considering that winter will be here before you know it. I don't want to get caught in a blizzard without a sleeper.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  5. The_Flying_Dutchman

Nov 8, 2016
    Jesup, Iowa
    I wish all our Pinnacles were as reliable, and a few have been, but many have not. Several have blown head gaskets lately, something to do with the wrong coolant in the trucks or some other maintenance mishap. I've also heard of blown turbos, broken water pumps, plugged DPF filters, and plenty of electrical and emissions issues to go around.

The one I just got back into is a 2014 w/ 453K on it. It seems like a solid truck, but I'm sending it back to the shop for the second time in a couple of weeks to get some minor issues worked out. I plan on babying it as much as I can. Considering the alternatives, I don't want anything to happen to this truck.

6. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    ill be honest. i don't baby mine, at all. i do linehaul - hammer down. i also run the aa in kentucky, end to end, 3-4 nights a week. i stand on that truck all night on that run and it has no issues. good luck with yours, they are certainly hot or miss.

7. The_Flying_Dutchman

Nov 8, 2016
    Jesup, Iowa
    I would agree there; they are definitely hit or miss, which seems to be a pretty common thread with a lot cars, trucks, and semis these days. One guy can have nothing but trouble with brand 'A', while the next guy can buy the exact same thing and have no issues at all.

8. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I don't know why nobody has said this but Mack is Volvo. MP8 is Volvo D13, MP10 is Volvo D16. The auto transmission is Volvo also.

9. The_Flying_Dutchman

Nov 8, 2016
    Jesup, Iowa
    Probably because it is stating the obvious to anybody familiar with the product, I guess.

Although there are slight differences. An MP8 has Mack specific engine software designed specifically to maximize low end torque, so an MP8 will have different pulling characteristics than a DD13.

larry2903 Thanks this.
  10. rogueunh

rogueunh Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2011
    In past couple years I've had a 780 and CHU613. Not the same truck when driving them at all. I guess a Sierra pickup truck and a Corvette are both Chevy's as well?

11. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Sure, as long as they both have a 350 under the hood...:biggrin_25526:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.