How Are Trainers Trained?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Jamie01, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Jamie01

Jamie01 Light Load Member

Dec 13, 2020
    For those who have been trainers, I'm interested how your company prepared you for that role. What was the training like, how were you evaluated before being assigned a student driver, what kind of continuing professional education do you receive, etc.
    I've been a high school math tutor and a rider coach for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, and wanted to see if trucking company trainers go through similar training before being placed in a teaching role. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    Lol.... i went to a classs for a day and watch few videos and listened to someone talk...
    There very few good trainers, training the next group of drivers some of who will become trainers. Very few drivers with years of experience will train....
    I became a trainer after a few years because i felt i had something to pass on. What i learned was large companies want drivers to know enough to do what they are told, and not enough to find a differant way to do it

4. JSanborn103

JSanborn103 Medium Load Member

Jan 20, 2021
    I read that at CR england the trainers start training with 6 months driving experience, so they basically have no clue what theyre doing

5. snowmantrucking101

snowmantrucking101 Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Welfare Express...3 months. Get some of that horse crap!

6. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    basically, there is no training.

7. JSanborn103

JSanborn103 Medium Load Member

Jan 20, 2021
    And to think the guy who trained the trainer had no experience either… its gotta be a snowball effect of bad information

8. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I met a “so-called” trainer way back when my kids where in high school, he mentioned he was a trainer for a local trucking school, so I asked him how long had he been driving, he said he hasn’t driven, only to get his CDL. So I asked him how can you be a trainer if you have no experience, he said the school was short in trainers so he took the job. o_O I just walked away with disbelief.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  9. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    My trainer was pretty good he had several years experience.

10. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Six months driving experience is all you need at Werner and they’ll give you a certificate..This was a few years back so I don’t know if they changed the process there.

Jamie01 and Flat Earth Trucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.