How bad am I screwed?... OOS question.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TruckerGonnaBe, May 8, 2015.

1. TruckerGonnaBe

TruckerGonnaBe Light Load Member

May 27, 2014
    Western WA
    Ok, here's the deal.

I did my delivery in Livermore California with the trailer that had issues with the brakes. The brand new trailer from the air brakes post. while I was waiting for my hours to come back doing an 8/2 split so I could take it to the shop I got another load assignment. I had to go take that trailer that I had to Salinas drop it pick up another load.

After arguing with them for a while they finally agreed that I should take the trailer to French Camp for repairs. I then bobtail to Salinas from French Camp and picked up the pre loaded trailer late now due to the extra trip. During my pre trip I discovered that the belly wires have been chewed up (looked like they got pinched in something) and somebody had pulled or cut the wires to the ABS light so it would stop flashing I guess. I told the company I would take it to French Camp where in the morning mechanics could work on it.

The next morning I got it in the shop and they discovered that the brakes were going out and needed to be replaced immediately and that the preventive maintenance service was due so they got everything taken care of. It took so long that I could no longer delivered a load but I knew I can get it to Coburg Oregon where they can get it off on someone else to deliver it.

The dispatchers were in a rush and pushing me to get going faster. I had already done a pre trip on the trailer right before all of the work was done and it passed including the air brakes test but I didn't actually crawl under and look at the brake linings because I don't know what to look for. Since they were pushing me to hurry up and get out so the load would be on time all I did was a quick glance at the slack adjusters to see that they were in a roughly 90 degree angle, fueled up, and took off. Since the work I just been done by their certified mechanic I figured it would be fine. When I got to the Cottonwood scale I followed another truck through the scale being in a hurry I screwed up and looked at the wrong sign so I followed the truck and I think that's what got me pulled in.

While I was in there they said everything on the truck passed except for 3 of the 4 brakes on the trailer we're out of adjustment. It put me out of service. I know I screwed up being in a rush I should have looked better but they all look right about the right place and the work had just been done.

How badly am I screwed because I screwed up and didn't look better?

Lesson learned. I need to find someone who can teach me more about checking these things and what to look for. Ugh!! Shame on me. How long will it stay on my record if the company doesn't accept the reasonably for their mechanics oops. Turns out when he did the brakes he forgot to adjust them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    do you work for TWT or System?

4. TruckerGonnaBe

May 27, 2014
    Western WA
  5. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    Do they no longer give you a card certifying you to adjust brakes in orientation anymore? They used too a couple years ago

6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    You get the csa points for 3 years total. It's only gonna be an issue if you get a bunch more violations. Unfortunately, even if the company wanted to, they can't own the mistake and prevent the csa points against you. Consider this a lesson to learn how to check brakes. It's actually requires you know how, part of the pre trip process, and to be frank, the tester should have failed you during the cdl exam.

Did you happen to go through a mega carrier training school? For some reason they get away with this crap.

7. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    heck you're not screwed,,no way for you to determine if the brakes were out of adjustment,,no big deal for the company they got an OS on their dot safety record,,did you get a ticket? If so I would sure make your company pay for it,,sounds like a screwball company. as for your record don't worry about it unless youdo this a lot..As long as you did what was required for a pre-trip inspection you did your job

8. TruckerGonnaBe

May 27, 2014
    Western WA
    They do but my experience in the brakes was in school learning to say I would make sure they are adjusted to manufacture specs and in orientation we took a wrench and twisted the bolt on an unattached slack adjuster a couple of times and called it good.

No, not a mega. Yes, lesson learned. I'm going to find someone who can teach me about brakes.

The DOT officer is the one who told me that if the company took responsibility for it then it would not go on my record since it was the mechanics mistake. I'm waiting to talk to the company.

I'm usually very thorough when doing my pre-trips to the point of pissing the company off because I won't haul a bad trailer. That included that new trailer that I argued with them over. Turned out that it had been in 3 times for repairs and nobody caught that the airline was kinked.

Argh!! I feel terrible that I failed doing the pre-trip properly because I was to lax, rushed, and trusted the mechanic.

9. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Well, if it was put out of service, a ticket was issued.

Was the ticket issued to you or TWT? In some state such as Washington that is a option. In other states only the driver can be sighted. I don't know about California.

If it on you, it will be on you Washington state driving record for 55years. On your PSP for at least a couple of years, some one else can chime in who knows for sure. TWT will report it to your DAC and they will keep it for 7 years. Basically, you will have to answer for it in all future job interviews. Sorry, sounds like you have some bad luck with a company with bad mechanics.

The 'mechanic' not adjusting brakes after working on them is quite common. Just another indication of a crappy shop don't beat yourself up about it though.

10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Driver, do you know how to adjust brakes? Regardless of what the Fearmongers say, you need to know how. Regardless of what the shop was supposed to do or didn't do, this is your baby. 2 bad OOS days in the scale will end your career faster than anything this side of a DUI. Yes, even faster than being at fault in a fatal accident. If you don't know how to adjust brakes, I'd suggest learning.

11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Op, if you posted where you stop for the night at, I'm sure someone on ttr would be willing to show you how. It would only take a couple minutes. Really its pretty stupid simple. Probably a utube video out there. Basically, with the tractor brakes set, but the trailer brakes released, you get under the trailer and pull the slack adjuster, measuring how far it travels. Same for the tractor, but trailer brakes set and tractor brakes released. While this isn't the"proper" way, it works.

Father Luke Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.