How cans per Hour

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by Wicked2740, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Wicked2740

Wicked2740 Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Ok I have question how many cans are we suppose to pick up per hour? I know it varies from trash, green waste and recycled. There's also the another factor the equipment FEL or Side Loader. The reason I ask this we got new management in here tell us we should be picking up between 150 to 200 per hour. Cause that's what the computer says! Sorry forgot to mention this is for residential service. Oh they want the cans to be put back down straight and up against the curb. I'm averaging 80 to 103 cans per hour. I'm get 2.5 tons per hour and get 10 tons in Four hours. In FEL with a Curotto bucket. Just want someone's input. Thanks

Mike2633 and KillingTime Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I don't know anything about garbage trucks except the little time I was on one in the summer in high school when I worked for the city. If it was over 95 degrees they'd double up the throwers, and would grab the lowest man on the seniority pole. Me. But good God that seems like an unreasonable amount per hour. In the median of their new "projected range" that's over 3 a minute. Is that even possible?

Mike2633 and Wicked2740 Thank this.
  4. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    That sounds ridiculous. New management is going to be losing employees. They have to learn the hard way. I admit, I don't know dedicated residential.
    I did rear load dumpster. Some residentials included.
    We got new management. I'm collecting unemployment. Got a grant to go to truck driving school to upgrade to Class A. I'm looking to drive gasoline. It can work out with a local company.
    We didn't have any front loads before this new owner. Idiot tried to tell me off; "I emptied 26 dumpsters, close together, in 2 1/2 hours!" ... he was really screaming. Later I got him in front of a couple apartment complexes. Told him: you see these two? 20 dumpsters, rear load, close together... one hour. .... He just walked away. Bunch of idiots.

5. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    I live in a 'Bottle Law' (redemption) State..... I thought you were 'bottle shopping' (hunting thru people's recycling and garbage at the curb prior to collection) at first, from the title.

In reading your post... seems your chances are almost better doing what I thought you were! (5¢ / can or bottle, 15¢ on hard liquor containers).

We don't have many waste collection guys here Wicked..... If you're busting hump, and doing what you can to keep the truck and it's hydraulic arms moving.... Keep doing that. In the end your average will compare against the other drivers - you'll be faster, slower, or fall in the middle. The computer generated numbers seem a stretch.

6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    That must be why the garbage guys here bust as-s.They run from house to house emptying the garbage.

Mike2633, WesternPlains and Wicked2740 Thank this.
  7. stuckinneutral

stuckinneutral Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Florida by way of NJ
    Standard residential collection, hand load on a REL truck with only one rider on back you should clear approx 110 homes "serviced" per hour. Remember that assigned homes that do not have trash out for collection still count as "serviced" as you pass. Collection rates vary based on make up of the area you're in.... rural with large property sizes will have lower collection rates than cities with condensed living arrangements. Service frequency will also affect... multiple time per week collection versus single time per week p/u will affect volume at each stop on p/u days. Automated trucks (ASL and FEL curotto) should be able to collect at higher rates assuming that no bulk is collected by the automated truck.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  8. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

I was unfortunate enough to be a driver with 1 helper in the city. We would do 850 homes in 4 hours pick time. 20tons in the winter, on one route one day of the five days in a week. All resi with zero commercial cans. Cities are nasty ####ing places on trash day.

The five trucks we had in the city had their own section each day and the stops were close to equal. Any given day 100+ tons of trash was being moved out of the city. Come summer when kids are off and people still dont have a job, your looking at 150 tons a day.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.