How cold is it when you idle all night?

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Fester69, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Fester69

Fester69 Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Im a new driver with SNI and so far so good. I live in the midwest and needless to say it gets a bit chilly around here. Seems like i get different numbers when i ask, but how cold is it before you let your truck run all night? Ive only done it a couple times and it got down to single digits that night. I know cold starts are hard on trucks, but mine seems to start well cold. After my 4 day holiday break, with highs around 10 above it fired right up, it didnt sound happy for the first few minutes, but it ran!
    Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pokerhound67

pokerhound67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 30, 2012
    i was lucky for quite awhile as a new driver, but let me tell you that your fuel may gel if you leave the truck off for that long. anti gel additive for fuel is a must during these months. have some on hand, because when the fuel gels is messes up everything quite nicely. personally, i never run the truck all night, but do let it run more on really cold nights than others. thought you guys had apus in your trucks though?

TRKRSHONEY Thanks this.
  4. TRKRSHONEY

TRKRSHONEY Heavy Load Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Hubby's 1st truck did not have an APU, we spent the night in Cheyenne, WY at -16 and did not idle continuously. He warmed the truck before we went to sleep, then we covered up with several blankets and a comforter. It was extremely cold the next morning but the truck fired up just fine.

Definitely agree with pokerhound67, anti-gel is a MUST!!! We use Howe's because they willpay your tow bill if you can show receipts that you have been using it.

5. moosc

moosc Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Lincolnton NC
    Any thing below 15 leave the truck idling. With SNI new policy there company trucks won't idle till its 20 or colder. Also if 30 or colder then plug the block heater if your away from your tractor over night or longer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2012
    New York

7. moosc

moosc Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Lincolnton NC
    SNI doesn't approve adding adjectives. If your in northern states there fuel is blended for cold weather. Not saying your fuel won't gel with it but when it gets uber cold any thing can happen

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

8. bikertrash61

bikertrash61 Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    When its uncomfortable, I'll idle. There are really no set temps, it all depends on what you are comfortable with.

9. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    If I am cold, I will idle the truck.

10. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    If the mercury was dipping below 20, I did. The risk of fuel gelling and the 15W oil we used being my primary concerns.
    Other than that, I did my best to keep it to a minimum, in order to reduce the buildup of carbon at the end of the cylinders and reduce oil sludge buildup at the bottom of the crankcase housing.
    And forgive me... I didn't realize this was in the Schneider section. I saw the topic listed on the side on the page and clicked on it from there. I've never driven for SNI.

TRKRSHONEY Thanks this.
  11. carrkool

carrkool Heavy Load Member

May 10, 2012
    adah, pa
    i start my truck to leave out for the week and it does not get turned off till i pull back in my driveway. but than again i do own it and pay for my fuel.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.