How cold to leave running ?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Cat sdp, Dec 28, 2017.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Usually cruise switch on and either hold the accel switch until you hit the desired RPM or you may have to toggle the accel switch multiple times.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    I just gelled this week. Was only -3 but I bought cheap fuel that I think had water and a high bio blend. Took 7 bottles of 911, 3 filters and limping it to the shop to park inside to warm it up. Only second time in 20 years I've gelled. I've sworn off saving $.07/gal and I'm just buying Petro/TA from now on. The $16 I saved at the pump cost $400 in a service call.
    It's going to be cold in Chicago next couple of days including -10 at nights. Hopefully I can get it going next week when I have to head out.

Grubby, Lepton1 and HalpinUout Thank this.
  4. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    My Volvo won’t let me idle past 1k. Probably messes with “clean idle mode”

I let me old day cab with a cat motor rip though at idle.

5. Fold_Moiler

Mar 17, 2017
    Yeah, watch the oil pressure gauge. You don’t need it at 60 psi or anything but you want it higher than 25 or whatever it sits at on low idle.

6. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I idle my truck if its below -15F or -10F if I can't get the nose out of the wind. I treat my fuel with isopropyl alcohol (8 oz. to 100 gals of fuel)... Been several years since I gelled last and that happened while running down the interstate in -25F into a 35 mph head wind... That was a bad day... I had an old timer that I know stop and help me change filters and get it going again... He dumped 5 gals of unleaded into each of my nearly full 150 gallon diesel tanks... Said "When its this cold ya need to add a little 'heat' to the fuel!" Then he wrapped my fuel filters with baby diapers and duct tape... I never gelled again that year despite the extreme cold... Shortly there after I discovered the isopropyl alcohol and been using it since.

lynchy, Grubby and Lepton1 Thank this.
  7. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Just left mine running all night.
    -31c (-24f) here at Saskatoon. Fast idle on my 2016 Cascadia is set at 900 rpm using the cruise
    I have the AutoElevate parameter set, so after it ran for 7 hours, at about 03:00 in the morning it automatically did a Regen. So I didn’t have to get out of bed to activate it.
    Looking like it will get down to -37c (-35f) Friday night, but I’ll have the truck parked in my heated shop for the weekend.

8. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    I have a 2017 Cascadia with the Optimized Idle. Will it continuously idle below a certain temperature? I'll be in North Dakota tomorrow then Winnipeg until Wednesday. I'd rather just leave it running most of the time.

9. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Certain volvos need to be left at a idle they raise rpm as needed on their own to maintain dpf temps and won't de a regen on high cruise idle .. I've heard of a few drivers having major issues due to raising idle I'd ask a Volvo shop on that one if I owned a Volvo

Fold_Moiler Thanks this.
  10. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    I couldn't get mine started this morning. It was 1°. Bottom on the fuel water separater was froze. Swapped out the filter and filled with 911, then I ran to Menards and bought 200ft in extension cords and ran them across the parking area to my truck. Hopefully plugging it in for 24+ hours will help get it running tomorrow. I'm going to high idle it till Tuesday when I leave.

11. Fold_Moiler

Mar 17, 2017
    Yeah I figured they did that for a reason. I usually idle it at 700, it goes into clean idle mode then on its own and does regens on its own then too it also has enough oil pressure at 700.

It’s mainly to cut down on vibration.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.