How common is it to get lost?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jayo2009, Jun 20, 2011.

1. I_HATE_MINIVANS

I_HATE_MINIVANS Heavy Load Member

I get that "state road 9" stuff all the time but usually there's decent Qualcomm directions in the computer. Any time a driver from my company has problems with directions or goes to a place they have no directions for, we're supposed to be able to send them over the QC and dispatch is SUPPOSED to enter them in the computer for the next guy, but they never do.

Fortunately, the Vice President of the company does it every time. He also wants us to tell him whether or not they have room for, or allow overnight parking (e-logs). I e-mail them, and not only does he enter them into the computer, before he does he gets on Google Earth or something and verifies that they're good directions. That's one of the only positive things I can say about the guy, other than that he's a republican.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. papa1953

papa1953 Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Nebraska
    I've been lost on several occasions, but I always made good time!

puncher and Injun Thank this.
  4. THBatMan8

THBatMan8 Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Wherever I park
    I had this happen a few times, and I asked the shipper to fix it; which they did.

-----------

Sometimes I'll play follow the leader. Since England and Prime share alot of customers; if I see one of those two that are going in the same direction I am, I will follow their lead as chances are they are going to the same place that I am. :)

5. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    I came down out of the mountains to I81 in central PA one night, thinking I was on Cty Rd 4070, but I was a couple of miles south on PA 901. It was so foggy you couldn't see much more than 3 or 4 feet - now that took awhile to even figure out where I hit I81... couldn't see a dang thing!

Um... lost? Nah... no search dogs or helicopters. Only misplaced for awhile!

6. I_HATE_MINIVANS

You were LOST!! LOST I TELLS YA!! :biggrin_25522:

7. walstib

walstib Darkstar

It's common to make a lot of mistakes, the goal is to not make the same ones twice!

8. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Nah... not lost. Just cloaked in fog for a bit. That ain't lost... its misplaced.

Lost is ain't got no clue, nohow!

9. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    I tell direction by the sun in many cases. On an overcast day in East Chicago, I was just plain lost. I had made my delivery and was trying to get back to the interstate. In that particular area, many of the landmarks look similar. Until I realized I had passed the same store four times...three times on my right and once on my left. I turned around yet once more, placed that store on my left for the second time and then stayed going that way. I found the interstate.

Now.....what did I do with those reading glasses?...

10. I_HATE_MINIVANS

East Chicago? There is no East Chicago, unless your truck can float. :biggrin_25523:

11. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    You think that's bad, I ended up underneath Chicago one day.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.