How did you get started

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by hannafarms, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Handed the keys, told "you're driving" and went across the country that summer with me driving most of the time with a load behind us.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Drove 6 wheeler local for 7 yrs. Took written tests, usually on my lunch breaks. Used my Dads company Truck, while he was on hometime, paid $50 for a third party roadtest. Got a local job, 3 in 3 yrs. Drove OTR for 6 mos. Bought a Truck at used Truck lot, 0 dn. Leased onto a mega that paid everything. Ran dedicated automotive for 8 yrs.Got Authority and bought a Trailer. 16 yrs later, Here I sit. Trying to figure my next move.

4. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    Lol. There are times when I would give anything if someone else owned mine.

wore out, Rideandrepair and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    :eek:

You can't do that! You HAVE to work for 1 year at a moron factory first!

:p

6. hannafarms

hannafarms Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Again great so most either had it easy or just some how got a loan... my figured I’d need $150k to start

wore out and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    Grandad had a 15 truck operation. I started in the wash bay and grease pit at 13. By 14 he was letting me spot trailers to be loaded within a 50 mile radius. At 16 he would send me on trips up to 600 miles in the summer when I was out of school. I finally got my Commercial license at 18 so I was actually legal. Bought my first truck at 21.

This was back in the late 70s early 80s. Grandad was a brave soul. Things don't work that way nowadays.

Isafarmboy, SAR, Ruthless and 6 others Thank this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I got my Class One 8 years ago. Looked at what trucking paid. Said F that and stayed in the shop. Love trucks, loved the bit of driving I did do though.

Rideandrepair and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    First driving job, I took was driving a straight truck for an entertainment company that would put up the stuff for the NWA/WCW pro wrestling. Went into law enforcement, got into too much trouble and took a job at a local beer distributor in the warehouse. Got into one of their trucks.

10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    My first Truck was bought on a 48 mo. O dn. $1 buyout lease, written by a Small investor, who did Business the Dealer. The contract was literally a copy of an Automotive lease agreement, and a bad one at that, Lol. It had language referring to 4 good tires, and the ability to repossess at any time. I fulfilled the 1 yrs minimum payment requirement, and re financed it through Chase bank, at a lower rate. I honestly thought I was going to be ripped off by the Lessor, as it just seemed too good to be true. Looking back, they were Legit, just very inexperienced. It all worked out. But yep, O dn. and no money in the Bank, with family to feed and bills to pay.

11. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Wasn't nothing easy about it.....not saying my folks didn't help me or that I would have made it without my Dads help. He did however have a motto.

"Son if your gonna be dumb you better be tuff"

He made it hard on me deliberately in some ways just to see if I wanted it bad enough. For that I am eternally grateful

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.