How did you get started

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by hannafarms, Apr 10, 2020.

1. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    At first, like I always do when this happens, I wondered why the guy just busted in to a thread on a totally different subject with his question. Did he even read what this thread was about?

The more I think about it I like it. He's reminding those of us who know better how NOT to get started. You don't get started in this business on high interest credit.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grove_LA

Grove_LA Light Load Member

Dec 21, 2020
    Los Angeles
    I initially started to look into getting my cdl to help with getting into the crane operators union here in so cal. Taking my operators test in March and figuring out how I'm gonna do the cdl test. Worked for a residential builder and picked all the mobile crane operators minds anytime they would show up. They all said to get my CDL and get on with a company like you did.

How did you like operating? Might have to call up on ya when I get some experience in a few years so I can get the hell out of California

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I’ve been an O/O for over 4 years. Started very nievely which was probably good or I would have never started. Heard about a chip mill looking for owner operators, money seemed good to me, (though realistically I had no idea.)

Anyway, with about $1,500 dollars to my name, I put up my wife’s payed for car as collateral, bought a 1.2 million mile Freightshaker for $21,000, bought a ‘94 chip wagon for $12,500 and started hauling chips.

Since I’m local hauling wood products I don’t have DOT number or most of the paperwork y’all deal with. My insurance is cheap since I run NR tags.

It’s worked well for us. I’m my own boss for the most part and make a decent living. I’ve since upgraded my truck to a 17 model and just bought a brand new trailer.

I don’t think for a second that would work if I would go OTR, but it worked for me.

(I only have an 8th grade education too, no GED or high school diploma. Basically a wing and a prayer applies to me lol.)

onetime42, dwells40 and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  5. Coal Region Deplorable

Coal Region Deplorable Light Load Member

It was 1982, I was a mechanic,, I was drinking a lot, and one morning I woke up with the title to an international and a cash receipt for $800 in my pocket.

My friends came around and wanted to see the dump truck I bought, so I figured I'd better go see what I bought.

Turns out I bought a roughly 30 year old R-210 international harvester 10-wheel dump truck. It was actually very cleanbut they had seized the engine up from overheating or at least that's what they told me.

So I got it towed home, bought a used engine for $500 and made a running dump truck out of it.

Tags and insurance for it for a real sticker shock, I think I had more in tags and insurance that I had invested in the whole rest of the truck.

And God was it ever slow. 450 red diamond gasoline power. Loaded and on an uphill grade little girls riding pink Schwinn bicycles with streamers on handlebars would pass me laughing

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.