How did you learn to drive?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Giggles the Original, Apr 29, 2013.

How did YOU learn to drive??

1. *

self taught??

25.9%
  2. *

taught by family member

27.0%
  3. *

Private training

6.9%
  4. *

trucking school

31.6%
  5. *

Company Trained

10.9%
  1. mitchtazz

mitchtazz Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl

i'm not understanding why ppl make it seem like a driver is a POS for not stopping for another broken down truck. Back then it made sense seeing as how most drivers were O/O with no support network, now we have "Breakdown", "RoadSquad", and about sixty other numbers to call. Back then if a truck was on the side of the road either someone had to stop to get a message to relay at the next phone booth, or someone needed to start walking. Now we got QualComm, cell phones, PeopleNet, and lets not forget the RoadRangers. I drive a company truck and carry a small tool box.. If you're an O/O with no cell phone, QualComm, or PeopleNet in your truck and you don't have a small shop in your truck then you fit the description of one of Berry's Kids if you plan on running that rig expecting everyone else to bend over backwards to help you while you hardly help yourself.

So much for the vice grips, not sure what ya'll used them for but i used them to pinch off vacum lines. The mechanical gov'er didn't stand a chance against it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    Wow...you just missed the entire point of my post...you've just made my point so evident , with your own self centered selfishness........I sincerely hope and pray you never get into an area where all of that silly technology that you've come to depend on doesn't have a chance of working..and when you do I hope that you encounter a driver that feels the same way...I'm minding my own business that guys on his own....For what its worth too most guys back then weren't all O/O's.....they were still the minority...and lots of times it was they who were stopping to help the company owned trucks out....Here we have another rookie who knows how things used to be......I really don't understand how someone who wasn't even born then can tell how drivers were....when you reach the age of 61 mitchtazz, and you've driven for 30 years you'll be telling a rookie the same thing....

Last edited: May 2, 2013
    MZdanowicz, Numb, JIMROY and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. MZdanowicz

MZdanowicz Light Load Member

Apr 7, 2013
    peabody, ma
    Well Pete you got it home. Learning to "jury Rig" has helped many times on the road. I try to bring the tools to keep going. Remember when a fuel line would split, to this day I carry 25 feet in the truck. Had to use it once to help another driver. Mike-Z

Tonythetruckerdude Thanks this.
  5. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    when i call road assist i have already figured out the problem
    how to fix it and where to take it
    this confuses them
    i dont fit in the box very well

MZdanowicz Thanks this.
  6. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

well i knew it wouldnt take long:biggrin_25513:...

carry on y'all...more stories plz....

MZdanowicz Thanks this.
  7. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    it is all mike z's fault
    he know tony marquis
    if you knew tony you would understand

just another adam smith

MZdanowicz Thanks this.
  8. mitchtazz

mitchtazz Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl

In all honesty that silly technology hasn't been around for that long, it's all still fairly new. And i've yet to be in an area where all of them will not work. I maybe somewhere i couldn't get a sat. link, but i'd have cell reception and vise versa, and for the most part if you don't have sat link then you're probably under something, or need to wait a few minutes for a better LOS through cloud coverage.. the US has one of the greatest communications networks ever, it's evident when you compare the number of phone booths today to the number from 20yrs ago.

so much for me being self centered and selfish....well i guess that makes you God then, seeing as how you've lived to be 61yrs old and managed to drive for 31 of those years. but just something for you to wrap your head around, those numbers mean absolutely jack. Ted Devita lived to be 18yrs old, and i'm sure a 5yr old had more experience and lived a fuller life then he did.

I would say a driver born in L.A, and moved to and ran only the North East for five years would have more experience driving a truck then a yard spotter that's been spotting trailers for 15yrs. Not that i'm questioning where, what, or how you drive, just trying to point out that those numbers are pointless, the only thing they really represent is that you're on track to die before me, that's pretty much it.

9. MZdanowicz

MZdanowicz Light Load Member

Apr 7, 2013
    peabody, ma
    LOL LOL Adam smith - he is the low of the low. Pete that mans name made me tremble. we still have unfinished business. Just a note- where does libby fit in? Mike-Z

10. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired

I'll apologize to the Mods. 1st , but I'm gonna say what I have to say, and I'll be done with this smart-aleck child.....With your attitude don't count on out living me son....someday , somewhere that smart mouth of yours is gonna overload that pickinninny rear-end. somebody should've taught you something about how to respect others. You say all those years don't mean anything...that is really a wise statement from some kid who don't (and I'll use your own words)....jack. Mark it down cause I want you to remember it...there will come a day that you'll see just how it feels to be left sitting...just because of the reasons you gave....I only wish i could be there to witness it happening...but I'd probably stop and help you anyway just to show you how a real driver is supposed to act.....but you'll learn it...I guarantee it.

11. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Your Mailbox
    Just take a brake, dude. He's just another rookie that thinks he knows everything.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.