How did you prepare for first DOT audit

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by trucko, Mar 30, 2017.

1. trucko

trucko Medium Load Member

Aug 3, 2015
    What's up Forum.

First of all I need to say that advice on this board really helped me get my own authority in time.
    Thanks to the users who helped me on that. I also successfully did IRP registration at 39500 GVWR IFTA license, UCR, NY HUT and other required papers.

Now let's share our advice on first Audit.

I know that first audit focuses on driver qualification package. Furthermore, my truck and trailer are both 2017, so less likely that they will focus on it.

I know that I need to pull driver background information from the previous employers and should have it in driver qualification package in 30 days from employment day.

How did you pull out those information. Faxed official letter to the previous employer of the driver? What info should you include, driver license number or just the name of driver, also what if they ignore your letter?

Criminal record check.

Companies like Foley (OOIDA) offer driver DOT background check, but it is very expensive. Does DOT background check also include criminal check of the driver. What is the cheapest way to do criminal background check?

P.S. I am driver and owner, so I do not seek at this time what documents driver should sign to give company consent to search for the background information. Eventually I will give myself permission to look for such information according.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dan31186

dan31186 Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2017
    Cincinnati, OH
    My company uses First Advantage for all of our MVR, background check, employment history, credit check, etc. I don't know what it costs but I run driver info through it. https://enterprise.fadv.com/

4. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Don't worry if they ignore your letter. Just document when sent and no reply. Remember, with these guys if it's not written down it didn't happen.

RollingRecaps and brian991219 Thank this.
  5. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    Didn't eat for a week and nervous as hell, but that was some time ago and we got an "atta boy" out of it, lol

6. djbattle

djbattle Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Dont bring any fuel reciepts or bill of ladings to audit. if asked why, tell them your accountant has them and is out of town for three months,you will fail supporting documents, but you only have to pass 4 of 5 .with out fuel receipts or bols, logs cant be questioned,make sure logs appear to be filled out legally with inspections.the logs also need to coincide with any dot scale crossings where your truck was stopped on the scale or issued tickets ,this is a must whenever you cook the books,audit or not.make sure driver document pack is complete, you can enroll in the drug testing consortium anytime before audit as long as you have your pre employment drug screen ,truck inspections and maintainence program and records are current ,never write a defect on daily log ,you have to be registered as a class 9 hazmat.also all your dot violations need to be mailed back as stated on form.the less evidence you have .the less they have to work with,if you can get a whinny loud screaming baby and some barking dogs things will go much faster.if you live on the west coast they communicate between states ,i belive ca,or,wa,id,with liscense plate recognition.i live in va.they only audit 1 month of logs and you only have to have six months on hand.unless everything is on the up and up never give supporting documents,when the officer calls to make the appointment you can ask him what he needs,write it down,you can also push the date back to prepare,i told my tropper i was going to be on road for three months and he pushed it back no problem.ive had my authority 7 years i dont take random drug test,i dont give a fart what the regulations,i have a great fmsca score,rule number one. run at night,and weekends,if you are illegal dont stop at scale,trucker path is a great app to know when they should be or are closed, run it if needed, make them get off there ars and get you .drivewise will get you across alot of them i use big road e logs that are completely editable,as soon as they see e logs they dont even look

TallJoe Thanks this.
  7. djbattle

djbattle Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Just tell them youve been self employed your whole life,get a back ground check online,you have to fill out a job app to ,and it is a five leg audit focusing on all requirements it doesnt matter what equipment you have it all has to be right 4 out of 5 as i posted earlier,you also have to impliment a saftey program the trooper will help you out with this when he calls to make appointment write it down or ask him if he could email you a outline get his number so if you have questions you can get answers

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    Reason for edit: Incomplete
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.