How did you quit Smoking cigarettes?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Dockbumper, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I did it cold turkey. Real trying time for about 3 mos. Was addicted to 3 packs a day.

4. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Everybody in my family blood line as far as I know smoked/ smokes.
    I never picked it up. But for some reason I feel like if you’re determined to deal with some night sweats and mood swings. You can do it. My friend said when his mom was quiting after 40 years. She was always passed off mad at everything and everyone for about a month. And now she says the smell bothers her.

5. kaptain10

kaptain10 Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2018
    I"m doing it cold turkey right now. 10 days in. Its getting easier but you have to think about it constantly. Don't bum any and don't buy any. I considered nicotine gum cheating. Just stop

6. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Numerous times I've quit chewing. Always happy when I do, after a few weeks anyway. But every time I slowly start back up. Bum a chew from a friend just once and before you know it I'm back at it.

I use nicotine lozenges when I quit, really help with the mood swings and helps with the need to have something in my mouth. And they taste good. A couple weeks and I weed myself off them too.

Maybe take a vacation, get out of the truck to help break the habit for a week or so

7. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Just quit, had cravings for about a week.
    Chewed regular gum. After about a week to 10 days was done.

8. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    first time, with the patches. worked good, until I got home and wife was still smoking.

second time,15 yrs ago,had pneumonia and went into respiratory arrest. that scared the crap out of me. smoking hurt after that.

still not smoking.

9. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    Went from 20 years smoking to vaping for a few years, then I discovered nicotine pouches. Velo, Rogue, Zyn, just to name a few brands. It has worked really well for me. I get all of the satisfaction of tobacco, without the tobacco, or the harmful side effects. Still addicted though(sigh)...

10. Crusader66

Crusader66 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2016
    It was easy, I quit hundreds of times! LOL

Coughing got so bad and I had a new son so I just quit one day, I chewed also and quit it at the same time too, been about 15 yrs now and haven't touched either one.

11. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    My Mom quit cold turkey. It was too late though. :(

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.