How do I install a blower?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Zexesy, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Zexesy

Zexesy Bobtail Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Is it a simple bolt on or is it more challenging?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    You're talking a blower for pneumatic tankers?

4. Zexesy

Zexesy Bobtail Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Yup

5. rbrtwbstr

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I wouldn't say it's a simple bolt on, but it's not rocket science either. Mounting location on the truck is the easy part. Pick the spot you want it, drill some holes, and bolt it on. Pay attention to your PTO shaft. Is it going to hit anything? Make sure before you mount the blower that there's enough room for the PTO shaft, and the other items that the blower requires. The Air filter and the pipes to go to the blower can be done easily if you consider it before mounting the blower. Same with the exhaust. Are you running a muffler? I'd highly recommend it. So there's that to contend with as well.

The PTO is probably the worst of it all, really. Drain the oil from the transmission, and bolt the PTO on. Then run the air lines and controls. That is probably the worst part. Make sure you have the correct PTO for the transmission. Different ones have different ratios, which will spin the blower faster, or slower.

Once you have it all hooked up, use a tachometer to check the speed of the blower shaft. Never assume!

MagnumaMoose and brian991219 Thank this.
  6. Zexesy

Zexesy Bobtail Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Do the blowers and their installation kits come with a PTO or do I need to buy that separately?

7. rbrtwbstr

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Usually sold separately. I guess it depends on who you buy it from, some may offer it as a package deal.

Zexesy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.