How do you do it?

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by newkid916, Jan 19, 2022.

1. newkid916

newkid916 Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2014
    So for some people they had other driving jobs before coming into the tanker world. For me I went to school and started hauling fuel right out of school. Im 5 years in and Im kind of bored with it like everyday its the same thing. Has anyone else been through this and how did you manage to get past it? Yeah the money is good but its not challenging me like it used too. Ive thought about trying flatbed or hauling equipment but the pay cut ill take makes me want to stay in fuel hauling.

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Cyrogenics probably pays more than fuel.
    @superpet39 knows about cyro hauling.

superpet39 Thanks this.
  4. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
  5. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I'm a reefer driver. But, number 1 reason I stay OTR is to help from things getting too routine. If I had a set route and set of stops, or only ran close to home like a local driver, I simply don't think I could handle the monotony. After alittle over 2 years as a driver, fighting monotony is an issue! This job has little intellectual challenge. Being OTR keeps things mixed up enough with enough diversity to manage the monotony, at least for me.

GEPPETTO425 and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    You think that is boring, once I moved 23 loads of gravel from one side of the pit to the other. Truck driving is repetitive by nature. I heard it said, , something exciting happens, followed by long periods of time where nothing happens. It's no different than most jobs. Dock work, manufacturing, male prostitute,:eek:, all have an element of repetition. THAT, my friend, can be the kiss of death. When things get too boring, that's when you may leave your guard down, because the last million times nothing happened, BAM, that's when it hits. Case in point. I knew of a guy hauled milk for like 17 generations, same thing, everyday. The company got a brand new tanker, put their most experienced driver on it, him, he got to the transfer station, starting talking to a coworker, forgot the hatch,,,and sucked 'er in. That had never happened to him and was so devastated, he quit.

7. little cat 500

little cat 500 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Abbottstown PA
    If you hate it now go OTR you will retire Real fast

austinmike Thanks this.
  8. superpet39

superpet39 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    out here in northern ca, the few fuel haulers I talk to are between $90-135k… so I think it’s about even….the thing is cryo is just so much cleaner…. I think we’re up to (4) former fuel haulers now with the new hires we have

9. newkid916

newkid916 Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Which company? Air poducts? Linde?

10. superpet39

superpet39 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    linde

newkid916 Thanks this.
  11. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    I do fuels(aviation) and also chemicals. Breaks it up and makes things more interesting.

newkid916 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted