How do you set up your ins. and title the truck when going LLC?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Estrella, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Midnight_tim

Midnight_tim Light Load Member

Dec 19, 2018
    I'm a little confused as to what the OP is trying to do here. I feel like the default question answers itself. If you're buying something for company use then it gets registered to the company. >.<

Going for LLC for Asset Protection so no lawsuits jump the proverbial wall and try to take your home/car or are you trying to protect the truck? In either case if you have adequate (don't cheap out) insurance then as long as no one dies you will probably be alright whether you're an LLC or not.

Of course, I'm just a fat guy on the internet. Someone else might have more reliable insight.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Estrella

Estrella Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2018
    Thank you all for your responses. Much appreciated!

4. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Can you explain what he should do exactly to protect his assets then? Unless he knowingly hired an ex convict who had a history of drug abuse or some mental instability to drive CMV without an official prior check of his employment history and such then what else if not LLC or Corporation would protect him from any of his drivers' wrongdoing?
    Besides, is it not Fedex responsibility, as a carrier, to check the driver qualifications? Correct me, if I am wrong bu it seems to me that op is not much different than Pensky here, he provides the equipment and finds a preliminary candidate to drive the truck, all the rest of it is on FedEx. The op is liable for the overall condition and safety of the truck.

5. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I own all the trucks, and lease them to the corporation. I don't know why, it's just how my accountant said do it.

The title is in my name, but the corporation carries the insurance.

6. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    The best way to protect your assets is with a BIG limit on your insurance, and an umbrella policy over the top of that. You want the insurance company to have a big reason to fight any claims.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.