How does my employer get away with this

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ad356, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I would bet money on this. No telling how big the driver pool is in the consortium they’re a part of. But instead of understanding how small companies are involved in drug testing programs let’s make another thread about all the stuff his company is doing wrong (when he has no idea what they’re actually doing) when he could be getting a different job.

Tb0n3, TokyoJoe, TripleSix and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I work for a 20 truck outfit. I've been called for a random twice in ten years.

Edit to add: we are not a fly by night, outlaw outfit. Things are done on the up and up here. It's just the luck of the draw, and how many others are in the consortium

Tb0n3, buddyd157 and Long FLD Thank this.
  4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    My company is part of TLC companies so your probably right on that. When I had my accident, the cops had me blow into a breathalyzer which I passed with flying colors (I dont drink AT ALL). My boss didn't make me take a drug test until AFTER I finished my route, in other words I was in a different truck picking up milk before I completed a drug test.

6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    If you didn’t get a ticket there was no need for you to be tested. Maybe familiarize yourself with the actual regulations before accusing your company of not doing things correctly.

ZVar Thanks this.
  7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I just spent 15 minutes speaking to a driver I helped get a job back last fall. She is broke down near Denver and is waiting to see if her company will get a rental tractor for her or have her return to Georgia to get a replacement out of the yard. I bring this up because all she did was gripe about what other drivers are getting by with. I finally had to get rather loud and tell her to suck it up and do what you have to do. The company will get her a rental car to pack her things in. They are good about doing that. She is getting breakdown pay as well. Still, I wonder why this seems to be almost universal. Have an issue of some type. Then go into this woe is me mode and find fault with everything! When I see this young lady again, and I will in about two weeks, I am planning to suggest to her to get out of trucking if it's causing all this stress!

I have a friend I have known for years, going all the way back to my high school days. He flys for a major US airline. Even he was griping about the company last time he made a Facebook entry. Another pilot friend I have known since he started flying for the then Valujet is doing that too. Nothing good to say, just gripe gripe gripe about things and depressing the heck out of those ignorant enough to listen.

I know the news today is not all that good. Lots of problems abound! This morning "still recovering from my June 17th surgery" I met the visiting nurse with a smile and offered her some coffee before she started on me. I don't care how much pain I am in, I will always meet someone with a smile and an honest "how are you doing" question.

Message to the OP, mind your own business, make your rounds and appointments on time. Let the company worry about regulatory compliance!

spindrift, TokyoJoe, buddyd157 and 4 others Thank this.
  8. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    I never recieved a ticket. My boss claims the insurance company required it. I was clean anyways so I didn't think I had anything to worry about

9. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    And to this day you're still #####in about your boss. Grow a set and move on.

TripleSix, ZVar and buddyd157 Thank this.
  10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Remember, this is the guy that started his posting history by complaining about getting fired for smoking in a non smoking facility (milk processing plant).

11. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    last i checked vaping is not smoking, and you werent there to deal with these control freaks i worked for PAST tense. they got into my #### on a daily basis. i was told they didnt like the sugar in my lipton iced tea. i was told to seek addiction treatment for nicotine use, a legal substance. they were intolerable, after awhile you dont give two sh*ts. i know what goes on in that plant, to this day. the general manager was demoted to a salesman as he was facing full termination. he is no longer allowed on the plant premises. my former supervisor was fully terminated YOUR FIRED. the people who fired me are GONE and GOT FIRED themselves. i bet corporate management took heads after such a small plant was having such a bad retention. this place went through dozens of people and they have fewer then 10 workers.

they did me a favor anyways. i dont hate driving, i enjoy it for the most part. i make decent money. my biggest complaint is being associated with company that has a terrible reputation, and boss who is famous for saying "drivers are a dime a dozen". its a free for all, no one takes responsibility for their actions and no one is held accountable. equipment gets smashed and i have to drive the junk. i do not smash ####, i think it's ridiculous use your mirrors, get out and look BUT DONT HIT ANYTHING. there is also a lack of consideration for people that have families, young children and spouses that sometimes get sick. i was told i should run with a 103 fever. NOPE. not happening. i took this job as a starter job and have stayed 2-1/2 years. that being said i do what needs to be done, but i am looking for move on at some point. finally i was told no raises after 2-1/2 years of excellent service. farms DO NOT call my boss and complain about me. i am at work on time and i dont damage equipment. i will stay here and do my job well until i find a different job. i am not just an ### in the seat.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  12. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I get randomed all the time.

Had a passing thought. Maybe I can cut back on my randoms by leaving DOT a UA next to weigh station doors. That way they can see first hand I am not a drug user.

Doesnt work that way? Darn.

Sirscrapntruckalot and not4hire Thank this.
  13. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    When are you scheduled to walk on water?

• Truckers Report Jobs