How Does One Survive W/O an Inverter?

Discussion in 'Heartland' started by Beans, May 10, 2010.

1. Beans

Beans Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Temple, GA
    I'm considering this company; however, I was told that I could not have an inverter. I'm about saving money. I don't like eating at truckstops everyday. I have gotten used to making my own coffee, which is a lot cheaper.

I would run regionally out of ATL.

Any tips on how to eat and what can I expect with this company?

Thanks!!

JustSonny Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    You can get all major appliances in 12 volt.
    They sell TVs, Microwaves, coffee makers, Coolers, pizza ovens etc.
    So if you really want to eat out of your truck you still could.
    You should be home 2-3 weekends a month, so you may not need a really large cooler, it is up to you.
    I keep putting off getting a cooler. I buy 2 large mugs of coffee a day most days, cost is just over a dollar most of the time, and you could probably get close to one refill a day on pilot points from fuel. If you do not save them for other things.
    One positive I have about heartland is that I take home about the same money as I would at other company's and I am home most weekends.
    I can run 2200-2500 miles a week here and get the money I would have to run 3000 miles to make at another company. I will take the negatives to achieve that.

The inverter rule came from one idiot running a power strip off of a small lighter type inverter. Needless to say it burned the truck and the load to the ground.

4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    I survived 32 years without an inverter. (and TV).

JustSonny, cool35, Rocks and 4 others Thank this.
  5. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    I do not have a TV in my truck, and do not need it.
    TV is fun when I am home for about an hour or so. That is about it. I have a few shows I like to watch that record each week. Other than that it is a waste of time.
    Too many things to do around the house and outside when home. Fishing, riding, lawn work, house cleaning (my wife is not too neat).

6. CkChris1973

CkChris1973 Bobtail Member

May 16, 2010
    I was told by my recruiter that she was waiting on my driving history to come back and that everything else looked good especially my employer references. She said as soon as she gets the MVR if its ok she will send my paperwork over to safety. Does this mean I have passed all the checks and have the job, or does safety do other checks as well. She said something about orientation and having a yes or no answer from safety in a day or two? I am on pins and needles, I really need this job. Any info will be great. Thanks.

7. w0lfy

w0lfy Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2012
    monroe, ga
    GOOGLE eltric cooler>>>>>the ones by coleman are nice & lunch box oven or eltrc lunch box.

in absent of a large inverter these two items are nice to save & prepare food stuffs.

The no inverter rule often has a loop hole ;) they most likely don't want an inverter which needs to be mounted & wired directly to the battery>>>>>>However you can get a small invert that will run small appliances (not microwaves or fridges) that you can plug into the cabs 12v cb power supply or aux pwr (uh the cig lighter thingy lol).

A little searching on amazon and i bet you can find all kinda new toys to subtitue your needs from lack of an larger inverter ;)

8. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    pnut butter n' jelly?

starsonwindow Thanks this.
  9. vinsanity

vinsanity Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    I have an inverter and still use a Coleman cooler, though it is plugged in using the ac adapter because the dc one was too unreliable.

10. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    That should not happen under normal circumstances.

First of all, those small lighter type inverters shut themselves down when the load becomes too great. It's an electronic protection circuit that does this, not a fuse.

If that fails, the circuit breaker/fuse should trip/blow on the lighter outlet.

Sounds like Captain Idiot rigged something. Seems to me they could allow the bigger, hardwire-only inverters and only allow them to be installed by their shop techs and get rid of most/all of the risk...but that makes too much sense, amirite guys!?

11. EnglishMark

EnglishMark Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2011
    orlando, Fl
    i have tv/microwave/burton stove and the plug in coleman cooler..plus an APU and Inverter...couldnt be without it all, i cook in the truck to save money, then i watch tv while i eat...priceless.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.