How does UPS Freight keep drivers???

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by BigDog Trucker, Feb 4, 2019.

1. BigDog Trucker

BigDog Trucker Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Their pay is ridiculously low for the first few years. The equipment is crap. The terminals are trash. The company treats you like a slave.

I just dont see how guys hang on. Desparation I guess?

Heres an example of how ups rolls: senior mgmt told us back in early fall that the terminal I was at was going to raise pay to $22/hr for all the new guys. It was going to be a localized pay bump due to the area we were in and all that. Well lo and behold, the pay bump never happened. I suspect they only got guys hyped up over it to help get the contract through, and once it got voted yes, they shelved the pay bump.

Another guy I know got hired as permanent feeder a little while back. Now that his probation is almost up, they've cut his hours back to practically nothing.

Just a trash company.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    I have never worked for UPS, from what I gather either you have to start working at UPS really young or if you are married combine your income along with your spouse. At the end of the day UPS hands down has good benefits and pay, it might take some time but its worth it. If not ask @Russian Rabbit he tell ya.

BigDog Trucker and Mike2633 Thank this.
  4. BigDog Trucker

Nov 4, 2018
    I used to work at freight. I agree its a good deal if you start young. If youre 22, 23, 24 with no kids or mortgage, then youre good to go. But if you have a family and bills, theres no way. But not only the pay, but the company itself is just trash.

Mike2633 and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  5. idriveaholden

idriveaholden Super Heavy Hauler

Mar 14, 2018
    As far as i know you go to ups for the benefits and job security. guys also hold on trying to get their seniority i suppose.
    other then that i always figured ups was exactly what you said..

6. BigDog Trucker

Nov 4, 2018
    You here alot of guys say 'pension and benefits'. After working 60-70 hours a week for 25 or 30 years, some guys dont even live long enough to enjoy what they earn in their pension.

Saltyoldone, Jay5GS, JadeLove and 7 others Thank this.
  7. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    $22 plus time and half after 40 hours right? What's top scale after 5 years?

farmerjohn64 Thanks this.
  8. BigDog Trucker

Nov 4, 2018
    The $22 never happened. Guys in their 1st year are at $18 then go to $20 in their 2nd year. By year 5, you hit top rate which is $28.85 I believe. Its time and a half for anything after 8 in a day.

Mike2633 and JonJon78 Thank this.
  9. idriveaholden

idriveaholden Super Heavy Hauler

Mar 14, 2018
    my dad keeps telling me to go to ups for the 20 year retirement, but that would mean forgetting about any and all goals i set for myself.. also i have no desire to drive dry van anymore. so no thanks

they do have a giant pool of drivers on the home delivery side always thinking about getting a cdl i would guess

BigDog Trucker and Mike2633 Thank this.
  10. BigDog Trucker

Nov 4, 2018
    I would do ltl with no problem if it meant I had a 6am start. The way the whole seniority thing works makes it a young mans game though. Plus upsf has low starting pay for the first couple years so if you have financial obligations, its gonna be real tight.

Their small pack guys dont want to do feeder anymore. The milennials theyre hiring have no interest in sliding over to feeder. That was told to me directly from their HR.

Badmon and Mike2633 Thank this.
  11. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I think provided you can get 10 hours of OT a week it's not bad considering the benefits that come with it.

farmerjohn64 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.