How does UPS Freight keep drivers???

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by BigDog Trucker, Feb 4, 2019.

1. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Yeah, that's a tough call. On the one hand, camera. On the other, $39.50 with a 10-minute commute. Oof. Lol

Jay5GS Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    SAIA's use of the driver facing cam's is interesting. I've triggered 3 recording events in the last 2 weeks. None of them were "coachable" (something that I could be reprimanded for), all of them for the wonderfully maintained New England roads that I drive on. My assigned tractor is an older Volvo tractor, and from what I'm told that generation was fitted with far more sensitive Lytx systems/parameters than the newer vehicles.

Lytx, the company that manages the system, seems to have a set of parameters in which to review triggered recordings. If it meets a set of parameters that SAIA has established, it seems that it'll get sent to the terminal manager for "coaching". If it doesn't, then you never hear about it.

SAIA however, does give us access to the Lytx system. I don't pay attention to the status light on the camera, so I never really know if it records, nor do I really care. You'd never catch a phone in my hand anyway or me riding someone's ### to begin with. I do, however, log into Lytx every day when I punch in to see if I triggered the system at all. The interesting thing about my most recent video recording, was that I smoked a pothole on the highway as I was chugging my Gatorade. I didn't hear a word about it because the video wasn't deemed to observe any "behaviors" that would require "coaching".

Part of me says "idc about the camera because I don't do anything stupid or illegal while I'm driving", while the other part of me recognizes that the "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" thought is a Goebbels mentality. I'm just chalking it up to being paid well to put up with it.

As far as DAC goes, remember, DAC is considered a consumer report, which means it falls under FCRA. So you're entitled to free reports in the event of adverse actions based on your report (i.e. you are denied employment) and you are also able to dispute information on your record.

However, using Intelliapp does not definitively mean that they use DAC and/or HireRight. When I went to TMC to get my CDL, the application process was through Intelliapp, but when I asked for a personal copy of all the reports they ran on me when I was being hired, there was no mention or existence of a DAC report, and I confirmed this (because I'm suspicious of all trucking companies) by directly requesting a DAC report from HireRight. On the converse, the cryo company I left to go to Saia, had their own hiring platform supported by Taleo, and once you were extended an offer, you dealt strictly with HireRight for the background portion of the screening. This did NOT include a DAC report being run either.

jmz, Radman, LPjunior1970 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    I'd have taken it. When I was reading it I wanted to scream at the computer with "$39.50 IN LOUISIANA WITH OT AFTER 8 AND YOU TURNED IT DOWN?!?!?" and then I saw it was a 10 minute drive in Los Angeles lol.

MACK E-6, Cardfan89, Redtwin and 3 others Thank this.
  5. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    The Hire Right page shows Tenstreet as a partner in their brag chart near the bottom. I agree that individual companies can do what they want with these tools, but using them at all means that you're in a system. Which may not give you the same report they give to potential employers. The corporates aren't even pretending to play fair these days.

e.g. I worked with a company that used Taleo, I was a consultant recruiter, doing sessions to help their HR catch up because the whole heirarchy in that company (major transportation) was incompetent and still is.

That client company used Taleo to generate pdf's of every application with all information in plain text, including birth dates, SS#'s, addresses, etc. Everything needed to steal an identity. Nothing redacted, even though I did not need that info to test and interview applicants, we did not even look at them beyond the name to see if they were present, so a one-page list of names would have been sufficient.

They combined them all into one and emailed the final monster to me, a non-employee, 900-1500 pages of sensitive applicant info, and instructed me to forward it to a nearby Kinkos to be printed for my recruiting sessions. None of those applicants had any idea that their info was ending up being submitted to a random Kinkos where any employee with access could not only view but could save a copy of that whole non-protected file. It didn't matter that the little lock on their browser was protecting them, the company screwed every single applicant this way, including people unqualified and those who didn't show up.

The other contractor instructors did forward it to Kinkos because they were all older and technology-deficient. I bought a laser printer to save those applicants from possible ID theft.

The Shadow, LtlAnonymous and McUzi Thank this.
  6. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    All those points are HUGE and valid points to make. It's obscene how citizen's personal information is negligently handled across the country. I wish there were more concrete sources of information to bring it to light, I'd like to see HireRight brought to their knees for it.

LtlAnonymous and speedyk Thank this.
  7. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Yessir, if they even had knees left when i was through with them.

LtlAnonymous and McUzi Thank this.
  8. Jay5GS

Jay5GS Medium Load Member

Jun 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    not tough after reading that they use a third party to review the footage and they suggest punishment to the company, same as stericycle a couple of years ago wanted a CLASS B with HAZMAT and was only paying 16 an hour with driver facing cameras and a crap ton of paper work to do on site.

McUzi and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  9. Jay5GS

Jay5GS Medium Load Member

Jun 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    ups freight is hiring in los angeles but i dont think i would be a good fit with all the rules, seems like a strict place to work and they going to work your 14 daily.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  10. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Class B w/hazmat for anything less than $22/hr... company is telling you that you're a chump
    Class B w/hazmat w/DFCS for anything less than $25/hr... company is telling you that you're a chump.

11. Pacino

Pacino Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2018
    VA
    A lot of the drivers here will agree (those who still haven't gotten a bid run yet after 10+ years of being on the extra board) that this is the only place anyone's ever seen hire you to sit you at home. They claim that they have to stay fully staffed just in case (always having at least 1 extra board driver available no matter how slow we are), but it's completely overboard in my opinion. We have 3 extra board linehaul drivers at my terminal and if no one is off on vacation, the #2 guy might get out once or twice, but the #3 guy can forget about it. Then you're asked to work the dock at least 3 days a week to stay off of a report so upper management doesn't try to get the terminal to lay you off. Why the F did you hire a linehaul driver then if you don't have any work for them?!

I always tell my co-workers that the gap in the pay progression is so huge, it's like they want to run you off before you reach the 4 year mark. How can you go from $18/hr after reaching seniority (90 days) to $28.65 after 4 years... Why not go at least 22-24-26-28? Same thing with the mileage. Start at .51/mile at 90 days and have to wait 4 years to get to .72/mile. A 20 cent gap in pay and you're doing the same job everyone else is.

Just about had enough, honestly.

McUzi, Radman, LtlAnonymous and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.