How does UPS Freight keep drivers???

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by BigDog Trucker, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Digman943

Digman943 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2016
    After reading all this UPSF sounds like they have very similar hiring practices as FXF. The pay progression isn’t as bad but the over hiring is the same. FXF is doing more furloughs while almost every major LTL is hiring in the Chicagoland area. Come on...ABF is hiring for a driver development program. They got to be busy.

jmz, McUzi and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    One of the problems with ABF is that their pay has fallen a bit behind the times in part due to having YRC as a competitor. They're in the same boat as USF Holland, touting the benefits moreso than the pay. Not that you can't make money at either company, but it's not what it used to be.

McUzi Thanks this.
  4. Old_n_gray

Old_n_gray Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2016
    western pa
    I heard they (ABF) were taking a local driver who has not been called back yet from layoff to work the dock in south Chicago. Paying his motel too. Driver lives in the north east.

McUzi Thanks this.
  5. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    For $39.50 per hour with OT after 8, I would have been fine a driver facing camera in the bunk that recorded me as I slept and got changed etc.

What I absolutely will not do for that money is live within 10 minutes (or 5 hrs) of Los Angeles.

The Shadow and Digman943 Thank this.
  6. Danny707

Danny707 Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2019
    You’ll get use it , those cams are only for you not to be having cell phone in your hand or just keep clicking texting away even if it’s mounted. I already got written up bc I left my mount at home and held the phone in my hand for GPS directions lol after hitting a bump it set it off. But drinking and eating with just one hand is ok so I’m good with that.

Jay5GS Thanks this.
  7. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    I think FXF is different from UPS in that they aren’t over hiring on purpose just to have extra drivers available. It seems like they just got a little too far ahead of themselves with the booming economy a few years ago, and didn’t realize they hired too many drivers until it was too late.

I do blame them for using more purchased transportation than necessary though. It’s not all one way freight like management claims it is. Even with one-way lanes, from what I heard it never used to be a problem to run drivers with empties one way since they charge more in those lanes to cover the empty miles.

McUzi Thanks this.
  8. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    How does UPS Freight keep drivers?

Whaddya mean, ya wanna quit? Ya know, ya got a nice family there. Shame if somethin' was to happen to 'em... ;)

jmz and McUzi Thank this.
  9. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    I see what ya did there!

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  10. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Another chapter of "Life at FXF was awesome under Mike Ducker".

jmz Thanks this.
  11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    10 minute drive in LA?

So that means we’re talking about a distance of... what, 100 feet? :biggrin_25523:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.