How hard is Bulk/Tanker?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by hlaird, Sep 19, 2008.

1. 2fuzy

2fuzy Road Train Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Granite Canon,WY
    very but it can be done and it pays good dividends if one makes it
    now one reason most don't try is insurance
    I have to have 5mil for most refiners to let you in the gate and and permits are a pain etc.. if you have never done I would say it is not a good venture to go into without some experience
    but if the deal is right maybe but without knowing more what your thinking I can't tell you if its good or bad
    one thing to be careful of would be shooting a bid as what sounds like a great price for van work will not sustain most tanker operations

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 2fuzy

2fuzy Road Train Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Granite Canon,WY
    do you have a client?

4. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    You sure won't survive trying to live off load boards . :biggrin_2559:

5. mastllc

mastllc Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    somewhere in ga
    oh no, no clients as of yet but just thinks of options and trying to find a good niche that is pretty stable. been noticing a lot of guys hauling down the road from me near the natural gas office/plant and i got a buddy that works there, i was just trying to get a little more info like what are good rates for this kind of work and how do you vent the hoses and what all is involed with getting the trailers ready.(permits and test.) and what does MC 331/330 mean on tank trailers, i was told it was the thickness of the trailer walls.

6. 2fuzy

2fuzy Road Train Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Granite Canon,WY
    it is a code trailer it is a set of specs it must be built to depending on what you do

if you can get in the niche it is stable I would suggest going to work for an outfit first though like PTI/ Amerigas and learn the gig well and make some contacts as it is about the only way in

rates vary and are usually set buy the product load but $3 to $5 a loaded mile is a ball park that it falls in
    but like I said it is very expensive to get started the insurance will be about 20k to get you started

all trailer have various inspections they must pass every year and a big one every 5 must be done at a certified facility on my 307/407 tanks the always seem to be about a grand bottles I would guess about 2500

what region of the country are you in?

7. mastllc

Aug 28, 2008
    somewhere in ga
    im doown in georgia just a hair south of atlanta. like i said been seeing these guys going down toward the Gas company and they all look to have nice looking and well kept rigs but i noticed last night that one of the trucks had a bottle but it was larger in dia. and it had a box meshed into it on the back any idea what he might be doing. all the guys that i have seen going down there are from smaller companies and they dont have websits nor are the trailers marked with logos.

8. im6under

im6under Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2007
    iowa
    when your trailer costs 2 - 5 times what the truck does... a little chrome becomes a much smaller portion of the expenses... :biggrin_255:

9. mastllc

Aug 28, 2008
    somewhere in ga
    i can believe that and with the rates i hear they get, it becomes even smaller

10. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Your best bet would be to just sign on as an O/O with one of those companies . There is too much certification to deal with for 1 truck operation . The best customers need a fleet anyway .

11. mastllc

Aug 28, 2008
    somewhere in ga
    I pretty sure thats the way I will start out but I was just wondering what all is involed. Most of the outfits I see are indenpendents. I suppose the next step is to find out who they are cause none of them are based anywhere close to me. I had planed to have a fleet of about six or seven trucks but I thinking that might be a little small for this type of work. But I wold like to say thanks for all the help.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.