How hard is it really?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by grusco, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    Show-off :smt120:smt120:smt120

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Only thing stopping you, is you!
    Come on over to the darkside mate, there's always room for more:biggrin_25525:

Martin

4. DodgeFarmBoy

DodgeFarmBoy Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Southern, Minnesota
    Leftlanetruckin

If you don't mind me asking (kinda new here) I assume you are a O/O are you leased on with someone? if so who if you dont mind saying!

5. OpenRoadDreamer

OpenRoadDreamer Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Alabama
    Im enjoying the learning process so far hauling general freight. Most of those companies that haul stuff like that require a few years of experience. I have less than a year.

6. leftlanetruckin

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Nahh,. not me. Used to haul a lot bigger stuff when I had my old 4 axle W900, but got out of it due to the headaches involved and dropping rates.
    Midwest Specialized out of Rochester,Mn.
    http://www.midspec.com/
    Martin

DodgeFarmBoy Thanks this.
  7. leftlanetruckin

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Not a clue what Midwesst wants, but probably a few years at least. We aren't a training company by any means, so experience talks and they normally "promote" from within.

Martin

8. DodgeFarmBoy

DodgeFarmBoy Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Southern, Minnesota
    Huh I live about 2 hours away from Rochester that's cool ill have to check them out!

9. OpenRoadDreamer

OpenRoadDreamer Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Alabama
    Im still learning different loads. Only done one oversized from Kansas to Iowa. It was fun.

10. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    O.P.,I too have heard flatbedding is HARD work..:biggrin_2559: Now I can only use my experiences as an example,but flat roofing WAS hard work..Welding on an assembly line WAS hard work..And working my way up to a payloader job in a sawmill was hard work..

I remember flatbeds coming there for top grade wood,which of course would call for the lumber tarps. I would listen to the trucker's P and moan about tarping,and we would help them if we had time,but I remember thinking...'I break my ### for 8-10 hours a day,you work for 1 hr and cry about it.':biggrin_25521:

I have only been doing this 8 yrs or so,and for the first 3 years I would remember this,and throwing the 8ft drops did not bother me..HOWEVER....Now I too despise the lumber tarps,and I have turned into one of "those" who P and moan about it..:biggrin_25511: Maybe I have forgot how to work? In answer to your question,if you are in reasonably good shape,why not? In my time out here,I have run into many "bedders" in their 60's...Ad a few in their 70's.. I wont be one though..:biggrin_2559:

11. Jopper

Jopper Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Southern Mars
    I am finding that skateboard drivers also stick together, the other day I had a fellow flat driver pull over on to the shoulder of I-20 and help me re position a crate that was hanging off my trailer. He was under a load as well. Very nice guy.

I will make sure to pay it forward.

MNdriver and Bumpy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.