How is it now?

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by Apd, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Apd

Apd Haystack

Jun 22, 2009
    Is Gordon still a decent option if you're just trying to get a year in otr? Obviously no companies going to be perfect, but it can't be any worse than other mega carriers can it? Looking for solid answers with no bs. I want to run hard and just keep my nose clean and out of trouble.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    Since Heartland took over, you won't be running hard. But you'll keep yourself out of trouble there. APU units on all tractors and also inverters. Maintenance can suck too. But they aren't horrific.

Apd Thanks this.
  4. Apd

Apd Haystack

Jun 22, 2009
    Thanks for the straight up reply. I should of said I don't care how long I'm out for instead of running hard. I just wanted to make sure it's not a total mistake by going with them. A year can go by fast if you're happy, or a year can seem like a life time if you're not.

5. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    i was there for 11 months. I am a different kind of driver than what they wanted, and they were a different company than what I thought they were.

6. Victor_V

Victor_V Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Spencer, Indiana
    Haven't talked to a current Gordon driver for a while, but for a new driver wanting to get that year in as you say, doubt you could do a whole lot better. Gordon drivers I have talked to recently have emphasized that GTI is run separate from Heartland, that it's 'still' Gordon, although have not met a senior driver who hasn't thought some about leaving, though, if only to avoid becoming 'Heartland'.

Apd Thanks this.
  7. Apd

Apd Haystack

Jun 22, 2009
    Another option I was looking at was May, but they don't allow drivers to take the truck home and the closest yard is over 2 hours away from my house. Does Gordon allow you to take the truck home or do you have to leave it at a yard?

8. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    You've got to leave it a yard. They have drop yards and terminals in Cali.

9. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    I talked to a Gordon driver about the merger a couple weeks ago in Scipio,UT and although I didn't Interview him he seemed quite bored by the topic and simply told me;there's no difference,same old ####..Thus my intuition of minding my own business should now take me to the "finish line". I have no interest in recruiting bonuses,so I'll just keep on doin what I do..whatever the Hell that is. :)

joseph1135 and TruckDuo Thank this.
  10. Victor_V

Victor_V Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Spencer, Indiana
    I took my truck home, but only lived about an hour from Indy. See no reason why Cali would be any different. You need to talk to a recruiter. Also, Gordon has always been 'picky' about the CDL school you go through. Again, you need to talk to a recruiter for California.

Gordon's hallmark has always been good, well-maintained equipment, not a hint of asking you to run illegal in any way, shape or form and respected. There was one dispatcher on weekends that was an exception. Only bad thing about Gordon was the pay. Well, maybe home time. Home time was 'no problem' unless you wanted to get home. Then...

Apd Thanks this.
  11. Apd

Apd Haystack

Jun 22, 2009
    Thanks guys. I contacted a recruiter and we'll see what happens. Hopefully my location won't be a deal breaker because I'm a few hours out of the way of i5.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.