How is oilfield trucking different than regular OTR trucking?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by expedite_it, Dec 8, 2021.

1. supergreatguy

supergreatguy Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2020
    I just netted 2500$ for four days of work this week hauling containers in texas. I grab a empty in Haslet, go pick up a load of cotton in Lubbock, Sudan, plain view, seagraves, Seminole, etc and bring it back. I netted $3,900 two weeks ago. Worked six days that week. And yes that’s after ALL deductions and expenses. Back to home base everyday, but a maxed out clock.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckaholic28

truckaholic28 Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2021
    Miami, Florida
    I`m really liking the idea of oilfield trucking as obtaining experience is concerned, thanks for all the inputs guys, and happy new year!

Bret1984 and CorsairFanboy Thank this.
  4. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    That sounds like a pretty good deal. What do you do outside of ginning season?

5. supergreatguy

supergreatguy Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2020
    haul garbage loads for jbhunt or run swift empties 120 miles for $550. I trade stocks all year though and make more from stocks than trucking. I love hauling cotton though, long empty roads.

Bret1984 and RockinChair Thank this.
  6. truckaholic28

Sep 4, 2021
    Miami, Florida
    Any accommodation for a travel trailer, I rather have my own space?

7. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    With power but no water or sewer.

Lots of cheap RV spaces in town though.

8. truckaholic28

Sep 4, 2021
    Miami, Florida
    Thanks, I'll keep you posted, I should be getting my CDL-A mid February.

9. SwervinMervin

SwervinMervin Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2021
    West Chester, PA
    One of the biggest differences is how smooth and controlled driving on the freeway feels compared to state highways and Farm-to-Market roads in the Tejas oilfields. Off the freeway, it's Thunderdome driving, baby! Nothing like dodging some methed out water hauler who's driving on the wrong side of the road while trying to pass more than 10 drivers in one shot. I hated dealing with that crap. Oh, and having your sampling equipment stolen out of the locked side box on the tank vessel while parked at the T/A in Big Spring, TX.

austinmike and truckaholic28 Thank this.
  10. truckaholic28

Sep 4, 2021
    Miami, Florida
    I can relate somewhat, I worked 7 years in a Quarry down here in Florida driving rock trucks, operating wheel loader, dragline, and some days I used to wet the roads with the water truck. I guess there is risk everywhere you go, you just have to be careful.

11. elegantseacow

elegantseacow Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2021
    Well, as someone who just hit their official two week mark of hauling water in North Dakota, I obviously have it ALL figured out comparing the two.

I’d say the biggest difference is in what you don’t know or haven’t yet experienced… But that just could be due to my past jobs and lack of oilfield experience…

Throwing chains, frozen pumps because Mr. Experience (not me) forgets to drain the pump after hauling fresh water, to passing a broke down truck in the middle of a hill on a road that’s really only big enough for one, to helping your roommate into his bed because he rolled his truck on its side when he didn’t think he needed to chain up…

it’s been an interesting two weeks to say the least.

a.paul, scott180, snowman1980 and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.