How long before it gets better!!!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 1989 Pete, Dec 21, 2008.

1. OverDrive

OverDrive "A Watchman on the Walls"

You obviously know that 'it's not going to get better!''

Best to bite the bullet and struggle on....did it for 10 yrs.:yes2557:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    We'll see an upturn when someone shoots the news anchors at the major networks....Fox included.

I have yet to see even ONE report on the 2-3 mile back up at most exit ramps going to the malls.

Or the 20 mile long (or longer) rolling road block going up I-15 to Vegas every weekend.

Our local news....in poverty stricken Mississippi, involved an interview with the local Mall Manager, stating that things were looking very good this year. Even more so, since Cooper tire decided to keep our local plant open...and DESPITE the fact that Toyota decided to delay the opening of their new plant.

Everybody is scared out of their minds by the news...there is NO economic turndown.

4. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    There is truth here to some degree.

There are areas that are affected and others that are not.

5. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    I kinda agree. It depends on your location. But a lot of this down turn, has been caused by media generated fear.

Just a glance at our local news today. Showed 1000's trying to get into local shopping centers. They had waited as long as they dared, for prices to drop even further before they bought. Which didn't help the earlier numbers any.

It's a self feeding prophecy, pretty much.

On the other hand. A couple of leading experts I tend to lend a bit of credence to. State they honestly believe there is an "economic" war raging in the background, among some of the global powers that be. They state that recessions generally don't affect every country, all at once, within a 12 month period. Like this one has, unless something else is driving it.

With China poised to take a bulldozer to fix a shovel size job. It's about to take an even harder hit, globally.

6. alien4fish

alien4fish Light Load Member

good point, but china is hitting the brakes Big Time they are our biggest exporter of plastics, tin and paper for recycle and the buyers have fallen off the map we found another buyer in chinaand we(our compnay)is shipping it BIG timeto get it out of the wharehouse. Its gonna improve in a few more quarters

7. pullingtrucker

pullingtrucker Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Fostoria, Ohio
    Things are improving, but very slowly. People are just worrying to much. Most people I have talked to are more optimistic now then they were 6 months ago. They don't think Obama will make a huge difference, but just a change from the normal "goverment machine" will be the thing to turn us around.

I'll be the first to admite that I did have to sell my flatbed because of freight decreases and others cutting the rates to the point where even if my ride was paid off I still wouldn't make a profit. I leased onto Schneider Nationals choice program and there freightbase is growing along with more loads out of exsisting customers. It will just be awhile before everyone in trucking see the upturn.

8. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    that's funny, the local mall here in Beaumont has been empty except for the first wek after thanksgiving

9. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    Just announced this morning,....Unemployment is the highest it's been in 26 years,....

It's going to take a long time for those people to get back to work and become consumers again,.....

10. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    I know all are malls aren't nearly as busy as they usually are.

11. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    I talked to the owner of the supper club I worked at back in high school to see if he knows anybody back home that is hiring,....He told me his business is off 80% from last December,....

The malls and stores around here look like ghost towns,....Spooky times ahead......

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.