How long before jumping to Owner Operator

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Zanadu, Feb 25, 2021.

1. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    That’s how we all learn
    Dig and dig some more but in the end some answers may not be pertinent to your personal situation

Learn and take the good and toss the bad

Zanadu Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Their are lots of little things to learn. What states are better to buy your fuel in? They have a different state tax rates. Ohio is better then Pennsylvania. Don't run the Pennsylvania turnpike because it has crazy rates.

If your buying new tires Ohio and Oregon don't charge sales taxe. Plus if you get fleet discount like I did at Landstar and don't pay sales tax. You can save some good money.

4. Zanadu

Zanadu Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2021
    I have driven around NY and PA allot, only in POV and driving a big rig thru it must suck.

5. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    New York is expensive fuel. Unless the laws have changed in New York if you run the toll roads. You can turn those toll recipes in and use that to pay the road taxes. So it's not as bad of a deal to run 90 toll road.

PA turnpike is like $150 if going to Harrisburg PA from m Ohio. You can run 80 to I-99 to State College PA and it's only about 30 minutes longer and no toll.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Become a member of www.OOIDA.com which is a business website for the owner-operator.
    [​IMG]

Zanadu Thanks this.
  7. DaytonTD

DaytonTD Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Wont get insurance with less than 3 years

GYPSY65 Thanks this.
  8. Zanadu

Zanadu Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2021
    I'm not saying you are wrong but from what I have read some people jump right into being an owner operator right after cdl training. You can run a truck without insurance, scratch that, you cannot run a truck long term without insurance so it must be possible to get coverage?

9. DaytonTD

DaytonTD Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I have heard that too but I have never actually verified it. What I do know is every insurance company I have came across requires 3 years. The only way I can see that being possible is if they leased onto a carrier that insured themselves and they were not completely independent.

10. Zanadu

Zanadu Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2021
    Can you maybe lease on to a carrier that provides insurance or is self insured?.

11. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    The insurance game is changing rapidly as there’s a lot of scammers chasing trucks for the payout

I can’t say if you can or not anymore but if you can. It will be crazy $$

Is the juice worth the squeeze?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.