How long can you stay out of trucking to keep your experience recent?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Gtrucking, Mar 24, 2023.

1. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    The other members nailed it. You don't forget how to drive a truck, especially if you were a good driver before you took off. At my company, there was a guy in my orientation class that hadn't driven in 4 years and they hired him, amd he didn't do a refresher. He had so much experience beforehand, something like 18 years. Some companies will make you do a refresher, others will just put you to work.

lual and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DixonM

DixonM Light Load Member

May 22, 2022
    Yea I believe it’s a racket also it’s the same idea as a bicycle I haven’t ridden one in years but I guarantee if you hand me a bike I will be able to get around the block with out any issues.

lual Thanks this.
  4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Truck co's insurance co's have a big say in this matter. And they run on statistics. I notice seems most co's want experience with-in the prior 12 months. I've never understood truck co's that really don't allow local driving as experience. Compare daily city driving and traffic and bumping docks 12 times a day to jumping on the interstate and getting off 1500 mi later (OTR)

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

It depends on the trucking company you want to get hired by. Some are a few weeks and some will take you if your experience was in the last 2-3 years.

lual Thanks this.
  6. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Important thing is to keep up your medical card up to date or let dmv know

kemosabi49 and lual Thank this.
  7. Space Truckin

Space Truckin Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2023
    Venus, Mars, and Tampa, FL
    Also keep in mind it seems we are heading into a slowdown. If it gets worse then maybe it becomes even harder to get hired. Although a good driver with many years of experience and safe driving is like finding a gold nugget, so you probably would be OK I guess.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.