How long does it take..........

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by numbers, Apr 28, 2013.

1. numbers

numbers Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    King Of Prussia, PA
    Here is the reader's digest of my story.....

As of this coming May 15th I have no place to live, no job, and as of right now no future....lol. I have been living with my now ex-girlfriend for the past few years.....she was also my boss' daughter.....and well without getting into to much detail we called it off because she decided to start drinking and using again after 9 years of sobriety ( I was with her for 6).....so I have no more relationship, no more apartment, no more job....she even took the cat (no pun intended). I'm sleeping on an air mattress in a mostly empty apartment with a small tv and my laptop. The rent is paid up til 15th of May, and while she up and went home to Daddy's place, I have no where to go. My parents are long gone, haven't talked to my cousins in years other then facebook.

Been looking for a job, but since my old boss, her dad, decided I shouldn't be apart of their family business anymore (catering, I was a setup and take down/ delivery guy)...I'm stuck.....literally. Got no real money to get an apartment (Live in Philly Metro area apartments are expensive as heck), got no real skills to get a decent job.....see where I am headed.

Came across all the "be a trucker, no experience necessary, we train" adds.

So basically I can get a sort of decent wage, have a place to lay my head other than maybe a friends couch, see the country, benefits.......yeah I could do that.

I seem to be able to pass all the qualifications, I'm old enough (late 30's), no criminal record, no traffic accidents, pretty decent shape,no health issues, no drug or alcohol use ever (i've been straight edge since high school......now you can begin to see why my relationship is over) my license is clean for the last 10 years ( had a ticket a long long time ago for bad inspection and registration but that was maybe 15 years ago)

So I started applying to some of these companies that sponsor training. After browsing through the forums here I avoided England and CRST like the plague. I did however apply to Central, FFE, Knight, Wil-Trans, Swift, Rohel, USA Truck after calling them. I also called Millis and Stevens, but Millis doesn't have any space for a while and Stevens seemed like they could care less about answering my questions, the lady on the phone would give me the indirect answer treatment and then go back to what she wanted to tell me about.....so I didn't apply to Stevens.

So how long after you apply to these companies does it take to get approved and get a slot into a school?

They all emailed me forms I had to electronically sign and what not, I assume they are checking my jobs, driving history, and references...........

Just curious how long it took some others who have gone this route..........

I'm sure I have more questions to follow please feel free to answer me but also ask me stuff as well......I am sure I will ask you something.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Doubled4287

Doubled4287 Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Broaddus tx
    Stay away i repeat stay away from Stevens my dispatcher used to work for them. And cr England go with swift tango Werner, roehl is a good company

4. numbers

Apr 26, 2013
    King Of Prussia, PA

yeah, I'm staying away from Stevens, England and CRST. Werner doesn't have a company sponsored school I checked, Roehl looks good and already applied to their school, and who is Tango? can't seem to find them

5. Doubled4287

Feb 26, 2013
    Broaddus tx
    Flatbed is where the money is at id go with Roehl. If they have a student class ive been around it long enough to know if you can go to a government class and get your licenses it would be better u have to sign a contract with these guys for so long if you go to them. If you quit before your contract they will hurt your DAC that is your trucking credit ruin it you've ruined your name in this. But you say your in a bind and i understand how that is so id take a run at flatbed companies that will take a student you will e the happiest or jb hunt Schneider or Tango if i remember right tango is out of Shreveport la

Jakaby Thanks this.
  6. Doubled4287

Feb 26, 2013
    Broaddus tx
    Call Erin j. Monday she is jb hunt tell her Christopher d. told you to call her she will get you set up and you won't be worried you can get qualified in no time im not a recruiter i am a owner op for my self i run flat and van and have pulled for them they are busy and will make sure your happy

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2013
  7. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Numbers...you could also try maverick as well... They have a pretty good reputation and they have 3 different divisions too.

Jakaby Thanks this.
  8. numbers

Apr 26, 2013
    King Of Prussia, PA
    jb hunt trains people with no cdl? if so awesome, i will call, they have a huge terminal about a mile from this hell hole in the king of prussia/philly area. I will most def. mention your name.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2013
  9. numbers

Apr 26, 2013
    King Of Prussia, PA
    I tried maverick.....i'd have to go to school on my own dime to get my cdl...and with my present situation i can not afford that, and i'd have to stay somewhere........i know paying for the cdl on your own keeps you from having that contract.....but in my situation....i need the cdl, a place to stay, and a company to go to work for......

10. numbers

Apr 26, 2013
    King Of Prussia, PA
    looking at the tango website......it doesn't mention about hiring students, and they don't hire from my area....even though in a few weeks i'm not gonna have an "area".......if anyone knows if they do work with newbies without a cdl in order to get a cdl and go to work for them, please let me know who to contact........

11. numbers

Apr 26, 2013
    King Of Prussia, PA
    so how long does it take for these companies to get back to someone and get you into training....anyone know?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.