How long does it take..........

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by numbers, Apr 28, 2013.

1. numbers

numbers Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    King Of Prussia, PA
    Well, I started everything up with Central Today....and against my better thought processes,but out of RESPECT for my uncle I called Stevens today. My Uncle has a really good college friend who is in upper management with Stevens, My uncle called me over the weekend and asked me to call today as a favor to him...so I did.

I ruled Roehl out not because I wanted to but coming up with approx $700 in spare money to pay for lodging and food right now is out of the question. Yeah I sold some stuff over the weekend, but I have to pay off some utilities, pay to have this place professionally cleaned (so i dont get hit with any surprise bills after I move out) and I went and got a small storage unit for some things I am going to keep. But $700 for lodging and food and fees...I just can't justifiably do that right now.

So I called my recruiter at Central and had him put the final motions on me coming to train with them.....and well At least start going through the motions with Stevens to make my uncle happy.

Now I wait for another day or two..........

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MoGooder

MoGooder Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Kenosha, WI
    Don't forget that you need money to live on the road until you start getting paid.

numbers Thanks this.
  4. numbers

Apr 26, 2013
    King Of Prussia, PA
    which is why I opted out of Roehl's academy.....I am planning on saving every penny i can for as long as I can.

MoGooder Thanks this.
  5. bmegirr

bmegirr Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Ocala FL
    I was in ur shoes in 1994.I was 34 and had seventy dollars to my name.crst gave me free training and a place to live..(the truck)...now I wouldnt work for them,but I font think.its a bad decidion for a newbie...( of course that was 26 years ago)

6. bmegirr

bmegirr Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Ocala FL
    I mean 16 years sgo

7. numbers

Apr 26, 2013
    King Of Prussia, PA
    Well it's done.......

I leave for Stevens training on the 14th of June to actually start on the 17th.

I know I was leaning heavily towards Central, but a few things came into play as I reached the decision. My Uncle has a really good friend who works in operations for Central. So After spending some time talking to him...as I promised my uncle I would......I went ahead and decided to go with Stevens. 3 Things came into play. 1- This family friend will become my mentor once I go solo with Stevens and help me map out a career with them. I start as a driver obviously, but he will keep me on track as far as advancement within the company goes and make sure I am getting the training and the miles I need. He has been with Stevens 15 years, and has been working in logistics for close to 40 years (worked in railroad and FedEx prior to stevens). 2- While there is some hate for all of the starter companies out there Stevens and Central included...Stevens, to me had what I thought was some very thorough training. They way they broke it down between classroom, otr with a trainer, little more classroom, otr with another trainee, and orientation made sense to me.

And 3- this is the big one....not sure I liked the idea at first, but I can live with it. My Uncle is agreeing to match whatever money I can put into an IRA dollar for dollar if I work at Stevens. Yeah, ok, he is kind of forcing my hand here...say what you will.....but I guess he can keep tabs on me a little better if I go to Stevens....again didn't like the idea, but everyone has to start somewhere, might as well be Stevens for me. Another nice little perk is that my Uncle and other family live close enough to Dallas that when I decide I want to take hometime, I can take it there. Now I am not planning on taking much home time the first year or so...probably the minimum, but I still like the idea of taking it wherever I want. Take 3 or 4 days, rent a car, see something I've never seen lol.....but I digress.

Also, leaving om the 14th allows me to finish taking care of my home, still trying to sell a few things, have a cleaning crew coming in on the 12th to do the floors and do a deep clean everywhere else.....not that dirty, but I can't afford any issues with the landlord. Also gives me extra time to say goodbye to some friends and what not.

So......

Stevens it is....and dang it, I'm looking forward to it!

californiatruckgirl Thanks this.
  8. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Congrats and good luck.

numbers Thanks this.
  9. Twicebit

Twicebit Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2012
    That matching offer from your Uncle is great! You might want to max out what you contribute to your IRA. With his matching funds and if you stay on with them, that may sure help you out down the road! Sure sounds to me like your Uncle loves you and wants the best for you. Good choice, numbers, I wish you all the best!

numbers Thanks this.
  10. numbers

Apr 26, 2013
    King Of Prussia, PA
    yes...I am grateful that my uncle is helping me out...more than I could ever possibly get the words to tell him. Been reading a lot of the stuff the financial advisor he got me told me to read. Even at something like $80 a month ($20 a week) into an IRA in 5-7 years could be valued at 20% higher or more depending on the market and what not. And with the Rothe IRA apparently I can add to it quit a bit...gonna have to look up what the cap is. But thats another topic for a different thread.

Sold my tv today, so its just me, and my laptop til I leave for denver in a couple of weeks. Still got a little furniture to sell or donate...probably donate since its mostly Ikea (or similar to) stuff that has seen better days. I'm actually having a yard sale tomorrow...well not me, I have a friend who is having one and she is letting me bring some stuff over to sell. I moved a few things into storage, and am going to keep my scooter there once I leave for Stevens. That thing might have to sit for a long time until either I decide to get a permanent residence...one day....or I neglect it too long and have to bite the bullet and sell it. So fricking hard to sell the thing....been my transportation for so long. Everyone sees a matte black classic Vespa and they know it's mine......but I digress, I am planning on taking the appropriate steps to properly put it into extended "hibernation", and those things are so easy to work on even if something didn't last prolonged storage it really isnt that difficult to rebuild...the thing is a '73 before all of the electronics, it's basically a go kart engine in the thing.

Twicebit Thanks this.
  11. numbers

Apr 26, 2013
    King Of Prussia, PA
    MNdriver.....got curious so I scanned that fancy barcode thing you have for an avatar with my phone.....thats pretty darn funny! HAHAHA!!

MNdriver Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.