How long does it take..........

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by numbers, Apr 28, 2013.

1. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Prime is is pretty good so far. Husband was a lease for CRE, which would have been good, but they have a habit of starving you out unless you train for them, etc.

Prime does have the school, they have rooms and provides 3 meals while you are in school. They do drive the lighbody trucks though which are a lot smaller than full size trucks. There is storage under the bunk if you put your chains in a tote on the catwalk, so that helps a little. He has the seat, the igloo sits on it, the microwave sits on it when he is using it. They are governed also.

If you already filled out the app on the internet and haven't heard anything this is who he talked to, so I hope she can help you out.

Grace A.
    Recruiter

You may also need to check into getting a mailbox of some sort, I think they say that they use the address of the business as the physical address, then the box number.

Prime requires you to get your passport and TWIC card (not sure if required at all or just some of the companies) which can be applied for when you're at Prime. The passport requires a birth certificate, (not the hospital copy), you apply at the post office, they keep the birth certificate and mail it back under separate cover and it takes a few weeks to get back. Most companies require the 2 last years of w2's to be sent also

You need to learn all you can for the cdl test, and should be able to get a book at the dmv.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2013
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. numbers

numbers Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    King Of Prussia, PA
    Going to dmv in the morning to get the book.

4. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    Save fuel, get the CDL handbook on line. Just as good. Read it. then Boogie.

5. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Other alternatives are government jobs like Air Traffic Controller, Border Agent, Flight Service, etc will send you to school, pay your room and board and give you spending money. I got like $3400 a month while in school and that was 27 years ago. I lived like a king. :) You can scope out usajobs.gov and find many opportunities if you are willing to relocate.

There are tons of traveling construction jobs that will put you up in a motel. Pittsburg Tank and Tower builds 40-60' ground water tanks and hires laborers. $30 some an hour with motel and real per diem. Hard work but killer money. They have a website.

There are plenty of technical schools like Nascar, marine mechanic, motorcycle mechanic that will get you financed and set up with an apartment. uti.edu

Or something I always wish I've done get you a job on a ship and travel the high seas! Do a search and you'll find tons of jobs. River barges are another possibility.

But if you want, crawl in a truck.

woody71 and HeWhoMustNotBeNamed Thank this.
  6. coach111

coach111 Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Same thing that they told me....as soon as you get the 6 months of driving experience...to call them back immediately. This was less than two weeks ago...Coach111

7. Big Ole Bear

Big Ole Bear Light Load Member

Since your unemployed but worked for quite awhile before you was "fired" your first stop should be the unemployment office. Not only you might be able to fight for your unemployment. They will have resources available to possibly help you with training. When I went through training 17+ years ago it was thru the unemployment agency and got hired well before school was out.Best of luck in your road forward.

MoGooder Thanks this.
  8. numbers

Apr 26, 2013
    King Of Prussia, PA
    Well spent all day monday out and about looking for possible other work.

I did actually file for unemployment, my former employer has the right to challenge it, and the process can take months apparently if he chooses to do so. I decided to try and talk to him about it last night as I needed to drop some stuff of at his house for my ex....he didn't really seem excited about me doing it, but he didnt give me much as to what he is going to do. The only other snag with the Unemployment was with the way I was paid, My old boss never paid for more than 30 hours on a paycheck. You'd reach 30 hours and he would give you cash after that. I know I know, probably Illegal, but he is classified as a small business in Pennsylvania, so he is allowed to do some crazy stuff when paying people apparently. At least I got a check, most others were paid under the table or on a 1099.

Went to DMV, got my book .

Since I was already at the career link office to file for unemployment, i sat and talked to a career counselor about things. There is a program to get money fro trade training, unfortunately it currently has no funds allocated to it, earliest would be August, and there is a huge waiting list, I put my name on it just in case. I also began searching their database for jobs as well.

Read this post this morning, someone mentioned Boat Work, so I did some online research, put some applications in....

Swift, Central and FFE Called me today. Swift and Central are ready for me as soon as 2 weeks from now. FFE doesn't have an opening for a while. Swift would need me to get my permit before going to school, Central does not....

I talked to a Prime Recruiter yesterday, and one from Driver solutions on behalf of USA Truck....they are supposed to call me at some point today or tomorrow. Called all the others I applied with, but had to leave messages, retried them again today...same thing...messages.

I know for a fact Swift, Central and Driver Solutions checked my references as they called all three of my listed references yesterday. Swift also checked my credit, I use lifelock, so I was alerted the second they checked my credit yesterday. They all also verified my employment, as the secretary at my old job, who is still a good friend, called me last night and told me she fielded calls from them.

I'm assuming they all checked my Motor Vehicle Records as well........

At this point, If I can solidify an offer in writing by the end of the week, I am going to start getting ready to go.

I am working on a back up plan just in case. While I can keep saying to myself I am going to be awesome.....This time around I am going to make sure I have a back up plan just in case, So I have reached out to an Uncle to see if he would be receptive to me coming and working for him If and only If my Truck plans fall through. Him and his 2 sons, my cousins, live in the Northeast part of Texas and have some sort of horse racing stables or something having to do with horses or racing...something. I haven't seen them in probably 15 years or so, much less talked to them other than facebook, but we will see. Him and My Dad had a major falling out back in the 70's before I was born, My dad left town or something...never heard much of the story, and they rarely, if ever, talked much less seen each other. I have a couple of Aunts as well....but same story. My mom was from Argentina, so I am not sure or even aware who I have as family down there. And not even sure how I would track them down anyway.

Sorry, veered of line there....

So long story short, going to try this skype thing out with my uncle tonight and see what happens, and then study this big cdl book, and then figure it all out from there........

9. toostroked

toostroked Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Shoveling horse crap would be better than driving a truck.

10. MoGooder

MoGooder Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Kenosha, WI
    Never hurts to have a backup plan. Maybe when you start driving you can visit with your family. Wishing you the best.

numbers Thanks this.
  11. numbers

Apr 26, 2013
    King Of Prussia, PA
    Prime and Drivers Solutions called today......both are ready for me....everyone is sending me the info in the mail, just have to choose one and get going.

Central refrigerated as of right now is probably the way I am leaning followed by Swift, Prime and then USA Truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.