How long should I stay?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Odin's Rabid Dog, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Odin's Rabid Dog

Odin's Rabid Dog Heavy Load Member

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    I got my Class A in Aug 2017, drove OTR for a white truck mega for 8 months, drove local hauling chips and soda for a few months, drove flats OTR for 3 months last winter, then a few weeks of reefers doubles and belly dumps doubles. I've been back to flats OTR for 3 months again.

14+ months OTR.

I have all endorsements but X, I have TWIC, US passport, I go to Canada frequently.

I have one DOT reportable tow away with minor injuries, not my fault, no tickets.

I'm happy with my current company, except. Except every time I need something done, like steps added so I wouldn't break my neck climbing into the catwalk, or getting routed home, I have to launch nukes, threaten to quit, then suddenly they take me seriously.

I ##### hate that.

I'm living in a brand new T680 with a 36" sleeper. It's ########, and there's no REAL reason for a 36" sleeper. These guys just can't spec a truck for ####.

Anyhow, just wondering... I've done a ton of job jumping since I started driving 2-1/2 years ago, which kills me when I talk to potential employers.

I drive pretty hard, I consider anything under 3K miles a week a weak week.

Anyhow, I know there are good skateboard outfits where I wouldn't have some of these seemingly petty issues, and i know no company is perfect, but I'm looking for advice on how long to stay where I am before I start shopping around.

booley and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    By a rule ive always found its best to start shopping around when u starting to think about it and sounds like u unhappy . go for it. Where do u live at? Check out any of the daeske companies, they all good flatbed outfits. Lots of good conestoga and curtain side companies in PNW . George van dyke, and some other companies pulling lumber products on them quad axle trailers, jones bro out of missoula, my company dsv is out of missoula as well . i think @Rideandrepair posted them pics of his quad axle flat up in that area . i would search for a smaller company that knows u by name rather than them megas. U will get treated way better

4. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    Life is to short to be unhappy and miserable.
    I suggest you look really deep into the next company so you can atlest get a year in at one place

5. Odin's Rabid Dog

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    I live near Kalispell. Freight black hole.

Jones Bros is a no go for me; Rex and I just don't get along. ;)

x1Heavy, BUMBACLADWAR and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. Odin's Rabid Dog

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    I agree. I guess my prima dona attitude don't help. ;)

7. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    What type of flat beding interest you the most step deck rgn oversize if you know that look for the company's that can progress you career in that direction I find it easy to do something if you have a goal in mind when going there

D.Tibbitt and Odin's Rabid Dog Thank this.
  8. Odin's Rabid Dog

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    It was kinda funny, a SPD driver tried recruiting me over the CB last week near Yakima.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  9. Odin's Rabid Dog

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    I've only pulled highboys and steps so far, with one OD load, local only.

It's ALL interesting. :)

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  10. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    That Flathead Lake is Nice. Maybe some runs from Canada to Missoula and back to Canada?

D.Tibbitt, booley and Odin's Rabid Dog Thank this.
  11. Odin's Rabid Dog

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    Yeah. I drove down the west shore this past Saturday morning. The Mission Mtns along the east shore are really pretty right now.

x1Heavy and booley Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.