How long would you go without AC

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TravR1, May 25, 2020.

1. Kirbs

Kirbs Light Load Member

Jun 6, 2019
    I can deal with the cold, but hot weather makes me agitated and I can't sleep properly. An A/C is a must, especially in Texas weather where you will sweat 5 minutes after the truck is shut off.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    If your AC is working hard in hot/humid weather for long periods the AC unit might ice up and won't work properly until it thaws and de-ices itself, kinda like a refrigerator that needs to be defrosted from time to time.

A low charge will also cause problems.

tommymonza, D.Tibbitt and bzinger Thank this.
  4. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    AC isn't always an easy fix, and APUs don't always work even if you are blessed(cursed) enough to have one.

I've been lucky with the last 2 trucks, so far. And no APU, which is just something else to fix that wasn't considered neccessary, in my experience. I haven't had much luck with those continuing to work.

Last time it didn't work, was when I had to take a different truck, with APU, and neither worked. For some reason, a valve stuck and no cool, got it to service, and he checked the pressures, and the darned thing started working, and it wasn't even that warm, after sweating like crazy overnight. Time before that, and not that long before that, I had to pick up a loaner from a lease place, was assured the AC worked, it did, for 3 minutes at low idle. The bad should make us appreciate the good more.

bzinger Thanks this.
  5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    The largest reasons that an AC will stop cooling are condenser and evaporator fans that stop, OR the charge has got to the point the low sensor won't let the compressor run. Anything that blocks the flow of air can cause the pressure to activate one of the high or low sensors.

6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    There are two things a driver should know and have with them when on a run about their APU. First, know where that reset button is. Most of the time it is on the Buckhead near the driver's tool access door OR under the sleeper. On my last truck I had to lift up the mattress and the panel it was on to get access to that reset button. Then always try to have at least a quart of oil. Thankfully most APUs don't use much oil. However, if they ever start and the oil gets too low the system will throw a code and stop. The only way to fix it is to reset it after topping off the oil.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  7. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Ran bottom dumps in CA bay area for a year with no AC. Little rough in the summer but I enjoyed the Western Star I was driving. They tried to give me a new KW with a governor on it but I kept my old WS. You can run in the heat with no AC.
    But sleep in the heat? If you can't sleep you are a danger to the public and a liability to your company. To me that is an OOS for the truck.

Bean Jr., D.Tibbitt, Long FLD and 2 others Thank this.
  8. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    I guess I was thinking it was some kind of apu unit for the bunk and the main ac system still working. Duhh on my part.

D.Tibbitt and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  9. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I never had a new one, and there are far more things on those devices to make them not work as advertised that I feel no need to deal with them further(I was the guy who figured out where they hid the reset button on each truck that was configured with one and inflicted on me). We learned with Rigmaster(which has lots of not so complimentary names and which I named 'waste of resources'.

The Thermo king network sold and serviced and then abandoned them when they came out with their own cross to bear, called the Tripac. Had experiences with those, too, and not fondly remembered. The reset button would fix it maybe one time in a couple dozen. The on off switch was more often the culprit, but they don't age well. We aren't getting them on leases, and I'm not in position to buy my own, nor do I want to.

10. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
  11. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    I’m an old guy that has many older trucks without ac. 3 of them dont have heaters either. But the huge difference is the old trucks had vent windows and either foot vent or cowl vent doors that allowed air to flow through the cab. They were designed to allow good ventilation without a thought of ac. The new trucks and cars as well are designed around the hvac system that is designed to be on all the time. Without it there is no ventilation. No air can get in to keep it from becoming an oven. So broke ac means major breakdown and cost when not working. I know lots of cases were newer cars and trucks get sold, traded, or junked because ac or the expensive controls goes out. Yet people still buy the old stuff without it and rock on.
    My ‘99 Fl was miserable and would almost murder me when the ac failed but my ‘67 Pete with the windows down and vents open on 100 plus degree days isn’t too bad. Same with our 2014 Camaro vs. 1981 Firebird.

Brettj3876, Numb, 650cat425 and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.