How many can read a map?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by feldsforever, Mar 5, 2021.

1. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    @Rideandrepair I haven’t been on 119 off of I-79. But from Ripley, 33 is a good road

jamespmack and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Yeah, I really don't understand the "GPS is garbage" argument (okay, I actually understand it, but don't agree with it... even a little bit ;)). I'm like you, I use pretty much every tool at my disposal and I have several of them at hand. In fact, to be perfectly honest, I barely used the Trucker's Atlas even though I bought a new one very two years.

A lot of my driving was OS as well as going places without map coverage where the number one tool is to use your eyes and read the signs. That works really good for ordinary OTR too, so you'll know to duck when you're high-balling it under the 13'7" overpass ion Dalhart, TX. o_O

And I'm very disappointed MS Streets & Trips was discontinued.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    alds, Rideandrepair and Coffey Thank this.
  4. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    This is generational

Old drivers where actually driving as the country was being built so as new roads and highways came into play then that was all they had to add to their memory as goes for businesses. As more and more companies opened these old guys knew where they were located because they watched it being built

The country has changed with amount of roads. Traffic. And companies a lot since the 70-80’s

I have a friend. He can tell you where such and such company is. How to get in to their lot etc even though he has never actually been there

I use all 3
    GPS. Cell map / Google and atlas
    If they all jive to a new location I haven’t been then I trust my gps and that’s never put me in a wrong or has place

5. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I can pretty much drive anywhere without a map or gps just from having run so long but I did get a Garmin dezl years ago to input my 500? customers into. I may not have been to a stop in 10 years so it's pretty handy and It's pretty good with the eta. And what @Rideandrepair said, part of knowing how to use a map is how it works in relation to all the different numbering and lettering systems used.

TripleSix, jason6541 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
  7. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    That's like exit 14 getting off in Bayonne. God help you if your new to the area. GPS is gonna be of no help. My 770 bricks out when it sees that Lol

8. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    And a map, right?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    All in all, I have to say, GPS is the best thing to come along, for Trucking. It makes it so much easier, not to mention saves fuel, makes checking mileage and comparing routes very easy. I was reluctant at first. I hardly ever look at my Atlas.

alds, not4hire and feldsforever Thank this.
  10. feldsforever

Nov 22, 2019
    Did u find you way,?

11. feldsforever

Nov 22, 2019
    I love my gps for reasons mention above. By ride and repair. But in the towns. I usually drive pretty slow and use my notes. But then I still tend to have days like today.

in pa on state route 100 and 29 north. 29 just disappeared. And I'm trapped down town. On 100n, every turn was a 45ft restriction. I don't panic easy. But I have to admit. Turning around and crawling out of there back to 29 was ridding my nerves pretty bad.
    I was less than impressed. Any way guys and girls. Thanks for the feed back. In gona tryn figure out all these signs and rules on the atlas. Especially with hazmat.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.