How many Million Milers do we have?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by striker, Dec 7, 2009.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Compared to my single screw, my pickup truck is the "real" truck.

D.Tibbitt, Wargames and longbedGTs Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Front Range Cowgal

Front Range Cowgal Bobtail Member

Nov 26, 2018
    Nyce
    Nyce!

4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    How many Million Milers do we have?

since i have either been regional or dedicated the past oh, 35 years(??) and now just over 40 years total driving, i should have over 4 million miles, but with the shorter miles, i can only claim fame to just over the 3 million mile mark....

5. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    I never counted miles, but in 2006 I got a million mile award.
    Never had an accident not even as a passenger.
    Last ticket was a fix it ticket I got in 1997.
    No thats not correct I got a speeding ticket in 2016. But I chose to go to fight it. $400 later i won no ticket.
    Now back 4-5 years ago. I did get a few window tint warnings. So I have no idea what that did to my csa or pap score

6. BigBluePeter

BigBluePeter Heavy Load Member

Aug 8, 2009
    LOL my current GPS is closing in on 700,000. It's my third since 2008 so yah.

7. allday

allday Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Been driving off and on for over 40 years not sure exactly how many miles. Does that count?

bzinger and Hammer166 Thank this.
  8. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    It all counts. My laugh is at the companies that state local miles do not count. If I were looking for drivers that can back into a dock, I may very well want to consider the guys that bump the dock multiple time per day, the one whom make there living backing into places most would claim you can't get into, only they never consider that and just put it in the hole. The docks made for a 39'long 7' wide trailer, and just shoehorned a 53X108 in there like a walk in the park, and yet most OTR companies think this driver needs to be trained. Just don't get it.
    I now bump the dock 3 to 5 time every night, cross Tehachapi and the Grapevines 3 times per night delivering loads. But only my OTR miles count, what a crock of , well it does not smell good.

9. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    I think the other issue they might have is "trip planning." While I wholly agree that for docking the Local/Regional is probably gonna bang more docks, and have the better backing. But they might suck at trip planning on a load going cross country. Local knows stop, stop, stop, then back to terminal. Not drive xxx miles, park...etc. To be sure they use their clock right and still get to the destination on time. I know it is one of the things I'll be paying close attention to when I am with my mentor/trainer.

10. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Ive done both, the local guys have to know how to plan there time way more efficiently than driving cross country.Look there both different jobs, but it is not tough to run cross country, keep the door closed , pay attention to your available hours, run your drive time out as close as you can, Planning is not that tough. Don't put too much thought into this, not that difficult.

Good luck hope you get a good trainer. By the way Ive crossed 3 million and have done both. Currently driving for Pepsi as a shuttle driver, Been there done that. Theres plenty of information available at the touch of a finger to a keyboard. Oh word of advice, buy a Rand McNalley Trucker Atlas now, go threw it cover to cover, no you can not memorize it, but you will know where the important information is that your GPS won't tell you.

Hammer166, D.Tibbitt and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  11. allday

allday Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Not trying to be derogatory but I do t care if it's ten miles or a thousand. If your a good driver you still trip plan. I've been over the road and local. Been in places nobody else would go (oilfield and such). I'd put my skills up against anyone. ;>)

Hammer166 and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.