How many out there run under own authority?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Scuba Steve, Dec 18, 2009.

1. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I think I meant liability .
    http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/about/other/faq/faqs.aspx?FAQType=11&FaqQ=

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MeatHead

MeatHead Medium Load Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Guess you changed your mind?

Nobody will hire you without a million.

4. amsn

amsn Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2009
    mississippi
    Ok I no this is an older topic but have a ? Been trying to decided on my own athorty or lease on to some one but after I get all my Mc numbers and ect is it tru that you have to be in bussiness for 6 months before you can get a load from most brokers I'm leased on to a company right now and only making change plus at jan 1 2010 we had to buy our own plates and took a pay cut so I need to get out fast but trying to see all my options first

5. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Chicago IL
    Do you think the loads may be harder for a new company to get because of the load volume for a specific area? Such as Im from Chicago IL and on the ITT website there is usually about 900 loads going out within a 50mi radias from were I will be keeping the truck, also I will be regional for the most part starting out so wont be going to any smaller states such as like rhode island or something, very curious about this because I am in the process of getting my authority, some say they dont have a problem getting loads when they're brand new and other say they do have problems, curious if anyone out there is from the Chicagoland area that is or just recently started a new company with they're own authority:biggrin_25524:

LongBlackTrain Thanks this.
  6. MeatHead

MeatHead Medium Load Member

Sep 25, 2009
    They don't care how long you've had your authority. Chicago has always been a hot spot and brokers will be climbing over themselves trying to get you to haul a load for them.

7. Scuba Steve

Jun 21, 2009
    Chicago IL
    This is very good to hear!! I understand that there are scams and stuff going on everday with new authorites but I always wondered how a new company is supposed to start if no one will give them a chance (hauling a load for them), thanks for the reply meathead, im hoping all goes well!!:biggrin_25525:

8. musicmaker

musicmaker Medium Load Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Fort Madison, IA
    I cant see giving a carrier 25-30% just to use their trailer, just not worth it. Run the numbers and you'll see. Any one can look up loads on the load boards and keep all that profit

9. brittlebones

brittlebones Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Vanessa, ON
    Musicmaker hit the nail on the head, run your numbers. I started on my own just over 5 years ago and have never been happier, I work direct for quite a few customers to cut out one more person taking a slice of the pie, it means a little extra leg work but it's worth it. I do haul for some brokers but you get to know who to and who not to deal with over time. Good luck Steve !!

Scuba Steve Thanks this.
  10. Scuba Steve

Jun 21, 2009
    Chicago IL
    Thanks brittle, I'm beyond exited getting my own authority, Im also ready for all the extra things that go into having your own authority as well, I recently ran my own paving company so know a bit on what it takes to make a business work well. Once again thanks to all who have replied so far and I hope all is well for ya!!:biggrin_25525:

11. Mike101

Mike101 Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Quincy Mass.
    I have my own authorty, use the I T S some times but have one large custumer that keep me running hard sometimes for months or maybe just weeks. Word of mouth gets me a lot of work. But if it slows down i go to I T S but nobody wants to pay a good rate on there. I run a D D rgn, Flat and a Landall which is a great trailer but not cheap but it makes money.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.