How many regret getting into trucking?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ImpurestCrowd, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    It's a niche career....all types of different ways to go, some good , some not so good, BUT , at the end of the day figure out which part of the wheel spoke you want to occupy , then go for it. Some spokes require more experience than others , but they each and every one have they're good and bad points. I did the food service thing for over 30 years, then retired....if I had to make the choice again tomorrow , I wouldn't change a thing......

Good Luck on your journey!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stevep1977

stevep1977 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    It's much easier to regret spending years in college only to find out that either you hate what you wasted so much money on going to school and/or the job market in your field tanks. Even if things don't go well for you in trucking, what did you really lose? $2000-$3000 for 4 weeks of driving school?

4. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    You had a kid at 14!!! #### playa, you're gonna be like a great - great - great grandpa before you kick it at this rate. That would be kinda cool.

5. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    It is so easy a caveman can do it! Also they now have self driving trucks!

6. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Yeah in Australia, but they don't and can't work on the roads yet. Unless you have some new info.

7. realsupatrucka

realsupatrucka Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2013
    houston tx
    yup the first time for both parties she got pregnant....if it wasn't for my kids I would tell my wife pack the house we moving in the truck....especially now that I yank a tank....lol I hope my daughter dont follow daddies mistake and wait until later to have a child....

8. bulldog522002

bulldog522002 Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2014
    WV.
    I think the small companies starting out are the best !

9. 6 Speed

6 Speed Heavy Load Member

Jan 2, 2014
    I am in my 30th year and can honestly say facets of trucking have been going downhill ever since.With industry turnover rates above 100%, you have 2 classes of trucking jobs. Companies that retain drivers for years with practically no turnover and then the rest who are always hiring. Make no mistake, there is a reason the same companies are always advertising while promising big bucks.I would recomend you learn to weld,if underwater its even better.

10. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I climbed up into my first (paying) job, a 1968 Freightliner COE in June 1972.
    I worked my way thru graduate school as a trucker and eventually ended up owning 13 trucks and all the headaches that accompany dispatching, meeting payroll, collecting money, etc, etc, etc.
    I've often asked myself, "self? If you had to do it over, would you?"
    Everytime I come back with the same answer:
    "In a heartbeat!"
    I love it.
    God help me, I love it.

Tonythetruckerdude and tinytim Thank this.
  11. 6 Speed

6 Speed Heavy Load Member

Jan 2, 2014
    And there is even more "whining" you will never hear because of the extra ordinary high rate of non english speaking truckers who have came too America with promises of high paying trucking jobs. And there is also a very, very high number of older truckers out there who can't even read a text message on their cell phone much less participate in a trucking board...LOL
    My Boss just bought all 15 of his drivers Droid Ultra Verizon 4G phones and only 2 of us could read and text messages.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.