how many wraps does it take

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Rat, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Rat

Rat Road Train Member

New domeless ELD/QUALCOM units. How many wraps does it take to block the signal?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Which signal? The wireless or the GPS? Either way, what's the point? Messing with your system is just going to introduce problems 2 and 3 times worse than if you just dealt with it.

BTW, you're not going to block the wireless signal or the GPS signal, short of removing power from the system, so just relax, do your job correctly, and everything will be okay.

4. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    What ever you do to disable these you can go about your day. But when you start it up again the ECM on the truck will tell it miles and time of movement. Then the GPS knows where you were when it shut off and where you are when turned back on. So what's the use ?
    You got away with nothing.
    ELDs are a tool of the devil and will surely be the end of many's driving job.
    Wonder if their is a column on DAC report for messing with the devil ? If not their will be one soon.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I never mess with QC, with that said there are some spots in every state where I know how to park in such a way that QC cannot see it's satellite. Dispatch cannot bother me at that point with friviolus messages until I get rested.

In my time it's generally in a geo stationary orbit between Texas and San Diego. So the southwest sky more or less. Today;'s QC probably has alternate means of messaging by now. So there is no point.

I see QC as the greatest thing ever, and at times a curse.

6. LilBudyWizer

LilBudyWizer Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2017
    As a former programmer in a high technical specialty I have to say you're in way over your head. You have no idea how anything works. Your antenna is right up there at the back of your cab above the catwalk. Just reach up there and unscrew it. See how that goes for you. Hope you enjoyed your time as a truck driver however brief it may have been.

Infosaur and CrappieJunkie Thank this.
  7. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    hmmm... I can make odometer stop while vehicle is in motion. as far as I know if you move vehicle from point A to point B without odometer change you will not have *unidentified miles driven* message.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Once a company killed my gauges to ensure that the vehicle would stay where it is over a 4th holiday. It was a good holiday. One exception, a stop watch for speed checking got me 200 miles bobtail to a friends for a day. And back without trouble that time. They knew #### well what was going on off the QC but it was not a problem. The mileage was still there when the gauges were turned back on.

mhyn Thanks this.
  9. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Id say one good wrap should fix it.

Attached Files:

shogun and gokiddogo Thank this.
  10. Rat

Rat Road Train Member

No dome with the unit. It has an internal antenna like a cell phone.

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Right. Since the nation's cellular footprint became solid about 10 years ago, satellite com became too expensive and unnecessary. Those systems died out quickly. I guess there's still a few in this part of the world but certainly not very many. Probably just replaced the system with cellular but left the satellite dome in place rather than trash it.

JC1971 and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.