how mechanically savvy should u be ?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by KristinTeam, Apr 27, 2017.

1. KristinTeam

KristinTeam Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2016
    to what extent should someone study diesel mechanics before getting into trucking? specifically for someone that wants to get their own truck?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Well, I would say if you bring a bottle of KY to the mechanic shop then it wont hurt as bad....lol

and you just might turn able to walk straight after they are done with you.

4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    If you aren't in trucking yet don't even consider getting your own truck.

As a company driver you will learn things as you go. You don't need any special courses or anything. If you do eventually own your own that's where you will factor in repairs and maintenance. If you do not budget for it thinking you can fix everything yourself you will be sadly mistaken when you realize you can't. That being said, still save money when and where you can. I own my own and the extent or repairs I do is fix lights and grease it. Doing even just that helps me keep an eye on everything and I can see if something is going to need fixed I have it fixed before it breaks. I also do not have my own shop or tools. If I did I could probably manage a lot of other relatively simple repairs such as oil changes and replace a turbo or alternator or cac. Most of the bolt on stuff. I'm lazy too though. And I get parking for "free" by having my repairs done at my home shop.

5. FireLotus

FireLotus Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2017
    I agree... be a company driver, learn and gain experience. Doing so will give you an idea of what mechanical things come up. Also, you will learn to drive and become more fuel efficient while some else is paying you to learn.

Big Don Thanks this.
  6. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    From what I've seen about "company drivers"...I'm not impressed.

Some of them are dumb as bricks when it comes to mechanical knowledge of the diesel motor workings.

So while getting experience behind the wheel is important, your inate desire to learn the "system" is more important, than jumping straight into company driving. Thats my 2cents.

FireLotus, AModelCat and Joetro Thank this.
  7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I've got news for you, you walk around like in your avatar pic, you won't have to lift a finger.:rolleyes:

TripleSix, Shock Therapy and FireLotus Thank this.
  8. FireLotus

FireLotus Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2017
    First off.. there are a lot of company drivers who are very knowledgeable of their trucks and the industry and who are more knowledgeable than you.

Of all the reasons I have heard of why someone bought a truck and failed.. never once have I heard anyone say they failed because they didn't have an inate desire to learn the system..

while there may be some bad drivers out there.. company drivers, LPs and O/Os.. I also know there are some #### good ones.

A21CAV, G13Tomcat and Big Don Thank this.
  9. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    LOL @FireLotus ...got your panties bunched up??

Comprehension is ESSENTIAL....

I said "Some of them"....please read again....lol

FireLotus Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Its true company drivers leave something to be desired.

Learning little things as you go with the truck you have is a wonderful asset. For example air tank valves. Sometimes with certain air tanks you hit the ground and break them. Pop em off and screw the replacement valve on. You should have a box or tray with two or three of every single valve that your truck has and then some in case someone else needed one. It might save you a thousand dollar wrecker call. You could try to use a small twig or branch stuck into it on a prayer if you had nothing that will fit. Remember to snap a few more so that if the thing escapes again (Usually where you are not around trees...) you have spares.

I can go on, but I don't want to confuse anyone.

Crude Truckin' and nax Thank this.
  11. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    Dead serious, another driver who's been driving for about 5 years recently asked where the spark plugs were at on his DD15. And he thought I was joking with him when I explained how a diesel operates.

Big Don and AModelCat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.