How much better was it back in the day

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by ronjeremyjr, Apr 30, 2020.

1. chilibowl

chilibowl Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2013
    Houston Texas
    Yep that’s all true. COE trucks ,jostling for the phone, calling cards, lot lizards at every truck stop, old dirty showers.
    Drivers actually talked to each other. I knew where the bears where for the next 500 miles. Drivers would actually pull over if another driver looked like he needed help.
    A full breakfast would cost $5 tip included.
    When you needed a parking space you could find one for free. Drivers would bbq together. I actually made friends on the road. Some I still talk to today.
    Yes those were the good ol’ times for sure.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kirbs

Kirbs Light Load Member

Jun 6, 2019
    Oh please. Shifting never made trucking difficult nor was it ever a barrier to entry. I started on a manual and most people in my class didn't have trouble. A 12 year old could learn it in 2 weeks. GPS's made trucking easier.

In an auto you still have to shift manually on grades anyway.

ParochialNimrod and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  4. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    Yes one thing leads to another!

650cat425 Thanks this.
  5. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Heavy Load Member

May 16, 2016
    There are pros and cons from all the stories old times from I heard from relatives for one a lot of companies forced you to run two logbooks tired well too bad was their motto. If it was up to companies they would still have it that way. The money was great but what's the point you dead in the process. your test very very simple you had a station wagon and a trailer and you could drive that your good enough to drive a semi.
    The trucks were smaller but if you broke down you either be able fix it or you better start walking for a payphone.

There's one answer I could for sure give and this is I had one other day mention how truckers used to pull over help stranded motorist nowadays all those crazy people will kill you. My first thought was you know 90% those sayings were 40s+ there still around and those crazy serial killers still exist.
    Most of the most gruesome deaths came from back then not now, my grandfather told me he wouldn't help you same with my uncle. Both former marines one from WW2 other Vietnam. Though marines back in WW2 were a division, not a branch like they are today. Even well before the 40s there have always been serial killers.

The biggest difference my grandfather mention is the size of the truck and trailers. the trailer length gets bigger and bigger and the trucks, he said back then after the war he drove trucks and they were either day's cabs for city use only or a truck with a very small room back for only a bed and that was the only thing back there. Also, he would use chains always because you think its bad now in trucks back then those trucks were worse to sleep in winter then today terms insulation. He would get just far enough to get to a hotel back then they got paid enough to spend the night every night in a hotel and pay all the bills at home.

6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Werner said it themselves.

“We have to broaden the pool of new recruits because some people find manual transmissions intimidating.” :rolleyes:

7. roadtech

roadtech Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Northeast
    Many of the dim witted mutants you see wandering around truck stops today would have washed out quickly in the old days.
    GPS, automatic transmissions, super comfortable trucks “ no touch , drop and hook”
    Deregulation, and a desperation by most mega carriers to put as many ##### in seats no matter what their qualifications has severely degraded the industry to what it has become now .

8. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    A good part of what I have read on this thread is , well sounds like it was written by people that simply were not there, without singling anyone out.

9. roadtech

roadtech Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Northeast
    I was there ( driving since 1986) and my father since 1964. I grew up in trucking , and have seen the good and bad , and it wasn’t all the “ good old glory days” , and in many ways it was worse than today. I can tell you it was a more respected profession then and a person could make a good middle class living and support a household on one income. There was more camaraderie amongst drivers and sometimes you settled things like men when you had a problem with someone. Today you have cameras everywhere and everyone is running around with a camera phone waiting to rat someone out .today you have more wannabe tough guys who grow a goatee and get a tattoo and “ wallah” instant tough guy , never being in a fight in there life and knowing they’ll most likely never have to with today’s tough talking but spineless society. Trucking has become
    Wussified and has become a job like stocking shelves at Walmart or working the fryer at McDonald’s and has attracted the types of people who usually fill those jobs that make up a good portion of what you have driving a truck today .

10. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I started in 1974.
    Actually wanted to drive a truck and see the country.
    Had some issues as a young man and after my debt to society was paid I set out to drive a truck.
    Tried to leave a couple times but I loved the travel and solitude. Good jobs were easy to find since most drivers wanted to be drivers.
    It was a harder life back then, modern day convenience is everything. Yeah it's still moving freight from point to point but attitudes have changed. Everyone is in a great big hurry and it's just a job now.
    If only you could take the best of the old trucking w the modern technology of today we'd really have something.
    Funny thing ..I sent for my DAC/hireright info to see what was on it. After 45 years trucking they have no record on me, which is awesome I guess.

11. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I have no DAC report either, pains me something terrible. I guess not working for some mega #### box company the last 30 years has paid off.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.